Site upgrade complete; new features active
Oct 16, '09 06:12:37PM
Contributed by: robg
Whew. That was a huge project, and fraught with more peril than I had expected. Nonetheless, we're done now, at least for the most part. I'm sure there are some things I've missed. In particular, please let me know if you see a story or comments with odd looking characters in them; things like "é" or "’". There were some character set changes in the Geeklog core that caused us some trouble with special characters. I think we cleaned up most of them, but there may be some lurkers.
So what do you, the reader, get out of this? Quite a bit, but here are a few things to note:
That's a sampling of the new stuff. So what did we lose? Sadly, the Classic theme is dead, at least for now. I just didn't have time to migrate it to the new system. I may at some point, but it won't be in the very near future. There may be some layout issues -- please let me know if you see oddly formatted pages, fonts too small/too big, etc. You can contact me using the Contact link on each page; please include the URL where you see the trouble.
- Comment editing - you can (for a limited time after posting) edit your comments!
- Comment notifications - receive an email notification if a comment is posted in a thread you posted in.
- Username changes - no longer do you have to email me to change your username.
- Account deletion - don't want to have an account here any more? You can delete it.
- Greatly improved user control panel.
- A much nicer article rating system, complete with AJAXified voting!
- Search by title only - I just added a new checkbox to the search form, which will restrict your search to only a hint or comment's title.
Thanks to plattapuss for the expert assistance during the upgrade. At one point, I did something really stupid. Thankfully, he was able to come up with very slick SQL recovery, which saved me from having to start over from scratch! And finally, thanks to all of you for making this site what it is. It's been nearly nine years, and it's still a blast to "come to work" every day and see what all you brilliant folks have discovered.
Mac OS X Hints