10.3: Enable the postfix Mail Transfer Agent
Oct 29, '03 10:38:00AM
Contributed by: oeyvind
Apple has now included Postfix instead of sendmail in Panther client and server. Here are the steps you need to do and watch out for if you want to enable this MTA on your client machine.
After a reboot, postfix MTA will be running.
- Edit the MAILSERVER=-NO- line in /etc/hostconfig. Change it to read MAILSERVER=-YES-. Save and exit the file.
- Open up /etc/postfix/main.cf, and edit these lines to reflect your setup. These are examples from my setup; yours might be different.
Save your work, and exit the file.
- LINE 67: myhostname = stibnite.oeyvind.org
- LINE 75: mydomain = oeyvind.org
- LINE 91: myorigin = $mydomain
- LINE 105: inet_interfaces = all
- LINE 152: mydestination = $myhostname, localhost.$mydomain
- LINE 239: mynetworks_style = subnet
- LINE 253: mynetworks = 192.168.0.0/23, 127.0.0.0/8
- Open up /etc/postfix/master.cf, and uncomment line 77 -- change #smtp inet n - n - - smtpd to smtp inet n - n - - smtpd. Save and exit the file.
Mac OS X Hints