Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Upgrade plans for 10.7

1/2: Will you upgrade to Lion right away when it is released?

Yes, I'm an early adopter. 3,354 (56.05%)
Yes, but I'm going to buy a new Mac. 355 (5.93%)
No, I'll wait for 10.7.1. 1,156 (19.32%)
No, because it breaks too many apps. 1,119 (18.70%)

2/2: Will you keep Snow Leopard (or earlier) around?

Yes, I'll keep it on an older machine. 1,821 (30.43%)
Nope; Lion is the future. 2,697 (45.07%)
I'm going to dual boot. 511 (8.54%)
I keep many older versions of the OS around. 955 (15.96%)
Other polls | 11,968 votes | 22 comments

Upgrade plans for 10.7 | 22 comments | Create New Account
Click here to return to the 'Upgrade plans for 10.7' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
It All Depends
Authored by: escowles on Jun 16, '11 07:49:39AM

I expect to buy a new Mac this summer or fall (depending on when the Macbook Air is updated), and that will definitely have Lion on it. If I get the new machine this summer and all my apps work smoothly, then I'll probably update all my machines.

But, if there are problems, or if I don't get the new machine soon, I might wait. I know several people who just upgraded to Snow Leopard because their upgrade window is June-July only (professors with no time and no tolerance for downtime during the school year).



[ Reply to This | # ]
Should also ask about Lion Server
Authored by: deemery on Jun 16, '11 07:57:22AM

How about a separate poll asking the following 2 questions:

1. Do you plan to install Lion Server?
2. Will this be a new installation, or an installation on top of Snow Leopard Server?

(in my case, "Yes", and "On top" of 2 instances of SL Server.)



[ Reply to This | # ]
More polls would be great
Authored by: lullabud on Jun 16, '11 08:27:27AM

I agree about having another poll, and more frequent polls in general. It would definitely help the readers get an idea of what the readership here is interested in, and promote general discussion.



[ Reply to This | # ]
Should also ask about Lion Server
Authored by: Unsoluble on Jun 16, '11 08:44:17AM
On a tangent to this: Has anyone figured out for sure what the true pricing of Lion Server is going to be? The internets are full of a complete mess of opinions... The official Lion Server page explicitly states you need a copy of Snow Leopard Server first (which would mean spending $500 on that first, if you don't have it already), but a number of other sources have claimed you just need plain Snow Leopard.

[ Reply to This | # ]
Should also ask about Lion Server
Authored by: fracai on Jun 16, '11 09:23:44AM
The page you linked to is all about upgrading. The reports I'd heard up to WWDC indicated that the server features would be free with Lion. After WWDC, and announced there, this changed to Lion Server being a $49.99 add-on to Lion. The server page indicates this as well.
---
i am jack's amusing sig file


[ Reply to This | # ]
Should also ask about Lion Server
Authored by: Unsoluble on Jun 16, '11 11:45:00AM
Yeah, except that it's a little odd that there isn't any mention anywhere on apple.com of how to buy it without upgrading, which is sort of implying that that's the only path you can take. Indeed, the page I linked is simply called "How to Buy".

[ Reply to This | # ]
Should also ask about Lion Server
Authored by: leamanc on Jun 16, '11 01:27:55PM

I haven't looked at that page, but I can say with certainty you will be able to get Lion Server without Snow Leopard server by buying Lion from the App Store, and then buying the Lion Server "add-on app" afterwards.

Early on (like with the first developer build of Lion), there was only one installer app, and it could be either Lion or Lion Server, whichever you chose. That would have been nice if they kept it all-in-one, for one price, but alas this is not the case.



[ Reply to This | # ]
Should also ask about Lion Server
Authored by: zane on Jun 16, '11 04:47:22PM
Looking at the How-to-Buy page, I get the impression that because it is aimed at Server users, it is simply worded as such. The statement "You’ll need Snow Leopard Server v10.6.6 or later to purchase Lion and Lion Server" seems only to mean that you need the 10.6.6 update before upgrading, hence the prompt in Step 2 to run Software Update. Otherwise they would explicitly state that you need to purchase SLS first, which they don't. Step 3 implies that you simply purchase Lion and Lion Server from the App Store, just as you would if you were a Snow Leopard Client user.

I do agree that the page above is somewhat confusing and am not surprised at your concern, but would be willing to bet that a Lion and Lion Server purchase is all that is required to run Server 10.7, regardless of what you're running now.

[ Reply to This | # ]
Upgrade plans for 10.7
Authored by: auco on Jun 16, '11 08:51:26AM

I'm sad Rosetta won't be in Lion. Must still keep FreeHand around for a while :-(



[ Reply to This | # ]
Upgrade plans for 10.7
Authored by: mmnw on Jun 16, '11 09:21:15AM

I probably won't upgrade right away, but I'm also not going to wait till 10.7.1.
My usual tactic is to wait a week or two to hear the buzz and decide depending on the news.



[ Reply to This | # ]
Upgrade plans for 10.7
Authored by: marksch on Jun 16, '11 10:43:46AM

The options I would answer to both questions are not there.
1) I am not going to upgrade yet. I'll do this in due time, when it is convenient for me.
2) I will continue to use Snow Leopard on my working machine for now.

---
Mark

Economy-x-Talk
Have your own custom software created
http://economy-x-talk.com



[ Reply to This | # ]
Upgrade plans for 10.7
Authored by: ms_t_rie on Jul 20, '11 07:56:23PM

Same here, I have to stay on Snow Leopard. Removing the ability to run older apps is a killer for me. Cisco VPN is a requirement for me, and it won't run in Lion. (IPsec/UDP is not supported natively and Cisco VPN won't run with a 64-bit kernal) Likewise, I suspect my old copy of Remote Desktop won't run either. The most recent version doesn't work for me, so even if they update it, I won't be able to use it.

Still, I have no real complaints with how Snow Leopard is running, I can live without Lion :)



[ Reply to This | # ]
Upgrade plans for 10.7
Authored by: Westside guy on Jun 16, '11 11:35:44AM

Really, there's only one feature I really want, but it's a killer - whole disk encryption. I will upgrade simply for that. With a laptop being my primary computer, it's bugged me that we Mac users haven't had a viable option for this functionality.

That said, I'm going to wait a few weeks. I want to be sure there aren't any major bugs in any of Lion's new features. And if there are widespread reports about the OS being slow... I'll wait longer. I suffered through 10.5.0's performance hits, and don't want to do that again.

Edited on Jun 16, '11 11:37:15AM by Westside guy



[ Reply to This | # ]
Upgrade plans for 10.7
Authored by: hibbelig on Jun 16, '11 03:25:44PM

I bought PGP for its whole disk encryption and I'm not sure if I should continue using that or switch to the OSX native feature.



[ Reply to This | # ]
Upgrade plans for 10.7
Authored by: bedouin on Jun 16, '11 11:09:28PM

Missing option for those who can't upgrade due to no support.



[ Reply to This | # ]
Upgrade plans for 10.7
Authored by: scottbayes on Jun 16, '11 11:27:41PM

You need a response for "Not right away because my MacBook1,1 is a Core Duo (unsupported), and my iMac i7 is on a ship between Tokyo and Seattle", though I guess you don't need to name the specific cities :-)

But ASAP indeed, for Lion IS the future, and will keep SL on the MacBook, and keep 10.4.11 on the old PowerBook for occasional Classic apps. All in all a reasonably satisfying menage-a-trois.



[ Reply to This | # ]
Upgrade plans for 10.7
Authored by: peterholdn on Jun 18, '11 01:38:55PM

I've kept a volume with 10.4 on it the whole time I've run Snow Leopard, since Snow Leopard broke one or two old things I use infrequently. I'll probably back that up and replace it with a clone of the Snow Leopard volume and run Lion.

I have a few older PowerPC programs that I use rarely but that I am not willing to pay the huge amount that replacing them with Intel versions would cost, not when I can just reboot the machine to another volume.

---
Relax, it's only ones and zeroes.



[ Reply to This | # ]
Upgrade plans for 10.7
Authored by: morrick on Jun 24, '11 03:13:54AM
I have a few older PowerPC programs that I use rarely but that I am not willing to pay the huge amount that replacing them with Intel versions would cost, not when I can just reboot the machine to another volume.

Ditto, ditto, absolutely ditto. I too have some PowerPC applications which still serve me well as they are. Too bad Rosetta has been dropped: it could have remained as an optional installation like under Snow Leopard.

Cheers, —M



[ Reply to This | # ]
Upgrade plans for 10.7
Authored by: londonman on Jun 21, '11 05:02:29AM

What a daft list of questions. How about (5) No, I have no plans to upgrade as I see little there to make me want to



[ Reply to This | # ]
Need Disk
Authored by: Kalak on Jun 24, '11 01:48:36PM

Need a disk, or it's not happening. My university stopped selling centralized licenses, so it's left to the departments to purchase from Apple. My department doesn't have enough to qualify for the minimum number needed for the education purchasing methods, so we're in the cold.

---
--
Kalak
I am, and always will be, an Idiot.



[ Reply to This | # ]
Need Disk
Authored by: applemandesign on Jul 05, '11 05:43:40AM

Use Finder to locate the Mac OS X Lion installer, right-click and select "Show Package Contents." Find the SharedSupport folder and look for a file named "InstallESD.dmg." This is the Lion Boot Disc image.
Copy the "InstallESD.dmg" file to another folder, such as your desktop. Launch Disk Utility and click the burn button. Select the "InstallESD.dmg" copy as the image to burn, insert a DVD, and in a few minutes, you will have a brand new Lion Boot Disc.



[ Reply to This | # ]
Things are broken...
Authored by: slb on Jul 06, '11 08:06:07AM

Can't log into AD (Active Directory) which is a killer.
Rosetta is a lesser concern.
Many third-party apps need an update. Nothing new there.
All in all, not happening until big things are fixed...



[ Reply to This | # ]