is running a slashback ditty about users having trouble with XDarwin under 10.1. I've got it running fine, here's the gotchas.
Firstly, the general installation overview is summarized in a previous MacOSXHints
article, so I won't rehash that here. Once you have xf86 4.1 and XDarwin 1.0a3 installed, minor tweakage is needed for great justice. The problem is that the xinit binary is not in the default shell's path, I fixed that at the user level by creating a .cshrc file (which belongs in your home directory: cd ~
to get there). Here's how: Obviously, use vi or whatever to create the file. For the contents, first issue this command to an open shell window:echo $PATH
This will give you your current (and likely your default) path. Highlight the path and copy it. In your newly created .cshrc file, you need a line saying:
[paste default $path here]:/usr/X11R6/bin:/usr/local/X11/bin
You may also want to add a line for the man pages; the procedure is the same, but use echo $MANPATH for the default, and:
sentenv MANPATH [paste default $manpath here]:/usr/X11R6/man
(Note-it's hard to see due to the formatting, but between the copy/paste stuff and the new lines is a :, make sure it gets there)
After doing the above, I have a working XDarwin under 10.1. While you're hacking your .cshrc file, you may also want to check out another previous MacOSXHints article on ssh
-see the first comment for another tasty usage of the .cshrc file... Also note-I'm sure this can be done at the system level, but don't know offhand where it's done, if anybody knows by all means post it on this thread...