Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

No hints today Site News
Still getting over it. I've seen many posts from friends and strangers alike on how Steve and Apple changed their lives; I know mine went from from being a mainframe-hating computer avoider to being deeply involved in many areas of the information technology industry after being Welcomed to Macintosh in 1985.

Here are a few things I've seen I'd like to pass on:

"Without Steve, none of my work on macosxhints.com, at Macworld, or Many Tricks would have come to pass. RIP, Steve; you changed the world." -- Rob Griffiths.

A memorial: Steve and the Apple Logo.

A Sad Mac.

An ad from the 'Here's to the Crazy Ones' campaign, this one made in 1997 but not aired. Narrated by Steve himself, who has a place with all those other difference makers.

See you all tomorrow with the usual stuff. Feel free to share thoughts and memories in the comments.
  Post a comment  •  Comments (7)  
  • Currently 4.00 / 5
  You rated: 2 / 5 (7 votes cast)

[3,191 views]  View Printable Version
Happy Labor Day Site News
We're on holiday (read: party time) today in the U.S. and will be back tomorrow.

Thanks, all.
  Post a comment  •  Comments (1)  
  • Currently 3.50 / 5
  You rated: 2 / 5 (4 votes cast)

[3,337 views]  View Printable Version
A few final notes about Lion hints Site News
Lion will be coming out soon, perhaps as early as this week. We've created a new category for 10.7 hints, so go ahead and use that for submissions.

The good Macworld folks are also working up a few Lion specific add-ons for the site; more about that as it progresses. Whether those will be finished by launch time I'm not certain, but should be ready shortly thereafter.

There won't be a July hints contest as we get ready for Lion; this will give me a chance to get caught up on previous months (yes, I know I'm behind) and I suspect there will be too many good Lion hints to adequately judge them all. I'm trying to clear out as many of the non-10.7 hints from the queue before then, so don't be surprised to see some short, simpler ones.

Finally, just to let you know, I will be in the same situation as most of you; purchasing, downloading, and installing 10.7 from the Mac App Store on release day. It may take me a day or two to test incoming hints, as I become acclimated to the new system myself. So don't panic if your hint submission doesn't come out right away. :)

Thanks, all.

Craig A.
  Post a comment  •  Comments (15)  
  • Currently 3.63 / 5
  You rated: 1 / 5 (8 votes cast)

[4,528 views]  View Printable Version
Happy Fourth of July! Site News
Hi, all. No hints today since it's the Independence Day holiday in the U.S.

I'm going to start accepting hints for Lion now, although they won't be published until the actual release. It appears it won't be a long wait. My one request is that hints be tested against the GM or the release version of 10.7.

Thanks!

Craig A.
  Post a comment  •  Comments (0)  
  • Currently 3.67 / 5
  You rated: 1 / 5 (6 votes cast)

[3,194 views]  View Printable Version
New poll: Upgrade plans for 10.7. Site News
As promised, there is a new poll out, asking about your plans for upgrading to Lion. There are two questions, so please answer both. Here's the direct link to the poll.

Put any special considerations you have in the comments.

Thanks!
  Post a comment  •  Comments (28)  
  • Currently 3.13 / 5
  You rated: 2 / 5 (8 votes cast)

[4,491 views]  View Printable Version
A reminder Site News
Just a quick reminder; the focus area for this month's Hints contest is 'Working with Windows,' which can involve all sorts of tips for working between a Mac and Windows PC's.

In July, when Mac OS X Lion is released, we will of course start publishing hints of all sorts about it. My one request is to make sure that hints are tested with the release version of 10.7, in case something has changed from the beta.

I'm going to try to set up a 10.6/10.7 dual boot system upon release for compatibility testing, but the presumed lack of Rosetta support in Lion may delay my full adoption, and I may just wind up getting a new Mac to run it on full time. I think I'll be putting together a poll to find out what people are planning to do for upgrade strategies.

-- Craig A.
  • Currently 3.00 / 5
  You rated: 5 / 5 (5 votes cast)

[3,140 views]  View Printable Version
MacOSXHints Contest June Featured Hint Category Site News
MacOSXHints Contest June Featured Hint Category The featured category for June is 'Working with Windows,' including (but not limited to) Bootcamp, VM's like Parallels and VMWare, and other cross-platform and interoperability hints. It's a pretty open category, and I'll look at a variety of submissions for it.

Please refer to the original post about the MacOSXHints Monthly Hint contest for further details.

Following are the winners from the March contest. I only had responses from two qualifying submitters (out of the six I attempted to contact) and here they are:

Nathan Greenstein: Safari: Hide images in RSS feeds

Frank Markus: Enable Pinch/Zoom on Firefox 4

I'll try to catch up on the April winners this week and we'll vote on the May hints after the Developer's Conference next week. Again, my apology for the delay, but it will all be caught up soon.

Craig A.
  • Currently 2.80 / 5
  You rated: 2 / 5 (5 votes cast)

[2,786 views]  View Printable Version
No hints today Site News
It is the Memorial Day holiday in the U.S. today. Publication will resume tomorrow as usual.

Thanks, everyone!

Craig A.
  Post a comment  •  Comments (0)  
  • Currently 4.17 / 5
  You rated: 2 / 5 (6 votes cast)

[3,275 views]  View Printable Version
A Note Site News
Hi, all. I'm on travel the next few days so things might be a bit light as I hunt for connections. It should be back to normal early next week. OK, it's actually an early birthday present. :)

Please go ahead and submit hints related to Adobe applications (preferably for the Mac) for the May contest, and if there are any cool discoveries related to the new iMacs, those would be great to share.

Thanks to all of you for your ideas, and continued support. I've been at this for a year now; it sure did fly by fast.

Craig A.
  Post a comment  •  Comments (4)  
  • Currently 3.50 / 5
  You rated: 4 / 5 (8 votes cast)

[3,743 views]  View Printable Version
MacOSXHints Contest May Featured Hint Category Site News
The featured category for May are Adobe applications, including the Acrobat family, Photoshop (and the rest of the Creative Suite). Even Flash might be considered.

Please refer to the original post about the MacOSXHints Monthly Hint contest for further details.

I'm a little behind, so we will be getting both the March and April winners picked and announced shortly. My apologies for the delay, it's entirely my fault.
  Post a comment  •  Comments (3)  
  • Currently 3.20 / 5
  You rated: 4 / 5 (5 votes cast)

[2,817 views]  View Printable Version