Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Message from the management: new editor for Mac OS X Hints Site News
Greetings, Hintlings,

As of today, I am taking over as editor of Mac OS X Hints. Old-timers may recognize my name: I guest edited a number of times when Rob was on vacation or having kids. For those who don't know me, I'm a senior contributor to Macworld, where I am also the iTunes Guy, and I've written a couple of Take Control books, most recently about Scrivener and iTunes. If you want to learn more about me, check out my web site, Kirkville.

I'd like to thank Craig for all the work he's done here over the years. I wish him the best as he moves on to other ventures, and I hope you'll all join me in giving him a big thank you!
  Post a comment  •  Comments (10)  
  • Currently 2.19 / 5
  You rated: 4 / 5 (26 votes cast)

[3,660 views]  View Printable Version
Farewell! Site News
Starting today, MacOSXHints has a new editor. Kirk McElhearn, who I'm sure many of you already know, will be at the helm. Treat him well.

My thanks to all of you as readers, and especially those of you who are hint submitters. It's been a remarkable time in Apple's evolution, and I hope there will be plenty of good tips both for Lion and Mountain Lion in the future. I very much look forward to reading them, and maybe adding a few myself.

Thanks again, and see you soon.

Craig A.
  Post a comment  •  Comments (11)  
  • Currently 4.45 / 5
  You rated: 2 / 5 (11 votes cast)

[3,552 views]  View Printable Version
Happy Martin Luther King Day Site News
No hints today. We honor a man, but even moreso, an idea, today.

See you tomorrow.

Craig A.
  Post a comment  •  Comments (0)  
  • Currently 3.29 / 5
  You rated: 1 / 5 (7 votes cast)

[3,682 views]  View Printable Version
No hints today Site News
No, it's not a holiday.

I live in a University neighborhood and some of my neighbors had their apartment building catch on fire. I'm giving some of them shelter (and hot tea) and trying to manage the chaos while things get sorted out.

Unfortunately, chaos and hint testing don't mix very well. I'll be back tomorrow unless the fire spreads this way. :)

Thanks, Craig A.
  Post a comment  •  Comments (8)  
  • Currently 4.44 / 5
  You rated: 4 / 5 (9 votes cast)

[3,520 views]  View Printable Version
Happy New Year! Site News
No hints today; we'll be back again tomorrow morning.

Craig A.
  Post a comment  •  Comments (1)  
  • Currently 4.40 / 5
  You rated: 4 / 5 (5 votes cast)

[3,195 views]  View Printable Version
Happy Holidays! Site News
I want to wish everyone a good holiday weekend, and if you're not on holiday, I hope it's good anyway. :)

We won't be publishing hints on Monday but will be back as usual next Tuesday.

No snow here in Minnesota so we'll be having our first Brown Christmas in a few years.

Craig A.
  Post a comment  •  Comments (2)  
  • Currently 4.00 / 5
  You rated: 2 / 5 (7 votes cast)

[4,034 views]  View Printable Version
New poll about iCloud Site News
I've posted a new poll about your thoughts on iCloud usage. I'm sure the list of answers is not exhaustive, so please vote for the closest option but put other plans you may have in the comments section.

Craig A.
  Post a comment  •  Comments (14)  
  • Currently 3.60 / 5
  You rated: 5 / 5 (5 votes cast)

[5,123 views]  View Printable Version
Happy Thanksgiving! Site News
It's Holiday time in the U.S. again. Time to remember all the good stuff in the company of friends and family. And eat, drink, and watch football.

A big Thank You to all the MacOSXHints readers, and especially to the contributors.

There won't be any new hints published on Friday either, but there is a new poll I want to put up.

Craig A.
  Post a comment  •  Comments (0)  
  • Currently 4.17 / 5
  You rated: 1 / 5 (6 votes cast)

[4,136 views]  View Printable Version
A couple of changes Site News
A couple of changes I'm making or considering: first, the category 'iPhone' is now 'iOS Devices.' Hints related to iOS itself, iOS apps, plus iPhone/iPad/iPod touch hardware go into this area. I'll go back and re-categorize older hints as I get the chance.

It has been proposed that a new category be created for iCloud related hints. Please post in the comments if you would prefer that or just keep it in the 10.7 or iOS areas, as applicable. I'm not sure I have a great preference one way or the other, so I'm looking for feedback on it.

Thanks, Craig A.

P.S. I see that the blue descriptive text by the iPhone icon has not changed; that still says 'iPhone.' The menu used to submit hints is now changed. I'll change the descriptor as soon as I spot where in the database that lives.
  Post a comment  •  Comments (10)  
  • Currently 3.43 / 5
  You rated: 3 / 5 (7 votes cast)

[3,274 views]  View Printable Version
No hints today Site News
I am attending a family funeral. Hints will return tomorrow.

Thanks all,

Craig A.
  Post a comment  •  Comments (11)  
  • Currently 4.29 / 5
  You rated: 4 / 5 (7 votes cast)

[3,024 views]  View Printable Version