Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Post-keynote follow-up... Site News
As usual, another entertaining and well-done keynote by Steve Jobs. The new hardware looks way cool; I haven't yet had hands-on time, but the speed increases he described seem borderline unbelievable. I can't wait to see what's in store for the pro line later this year.

But I actually found the software announcements nearly as interesting as the hardware -- iPhoto, iWeb, iDVD, etc. have all received notable improvements. Since I'm assuming most everyone was impressed with the hardware, I thought it'd be fun to see which software app is at the top of everyone's list -- hence the new poll. Please feel free to comment on anything else in the keynote, too, either here, or in the comments to the poll.

And now, I'm off to fight my way to the Apple booth!

-rob.
  Post a comment  •  Comments (16)  
  • Currently 1.38 / 5
  You rated: 1 / 5 (8 votes cast)

[9,263 views] Email Article To a Friend View Printable Version
Macworld Expo week schedule Site News
As a reminder, I'm at Macworld Expo this week, getting my annual dosage of Mac fanaticism, so the daily site updates may come at slightly non-standard times. My schedule is (I think) finally finalized for the week:
  • Tue Jan 10, 2:15pm-3:00pm, Macworld booth:

A roundtable with other Macworld staff members, discussing our reactions to the morning's keynote.

• Wed Jan 11, 1:00pm-2:00pm, Macworld booth:

I'll be presenting a few iPhoto tips during Kelly Turner's presentation about digital photography.

• Thu Jan 12, 9:30am-10:30am, Room 134:

I'm on one of the teams in the MacBrainiac Challenge quiz show.

• Thu Jan 12, 11:00am-12:15pm, Room TBD:

Best of Mac OS X Hints, my presentation on some of my favorite tips and OS X add-ons. You'll need a conference pass to get into this one.

• Fri Jan 13, 11:00am-12:00pm, Macworld booth:

Another version of my favorite hints, this time in a shorter, free session on the tradeshow floor.

I'll be around each of these locations for a bit before and after the talks, so please feel free to stop by and introduce yourself. I always love the chance to meet the people who have helped make macosxhints.com such an amazingly useful resource.
  Post a comment  •  Comments (2)  
  • Currently 2.11 / 5
  You rated: 4 / 5 (9 votes cast)

[9,759 views] Email Article To a Friend View Printable Version
Happy New Year! Site News

Welcome to 2006!

I hope you all had an enjoyable, safe, and memorable New Year's Eve, however you chose to celebrate it!

As a reminder, there won't be a site update on Monday the 2nd, but we'll return as usual on Tuesday the 3rd.

-rob.
  Post a comment  •  Comments (6)  
  • Currently 1.88 / 5
  You rated: 2 / 5 (8 votes cast)

[5,640 views] Email Article To a Friend View Printable Version
Holidays, site updates, and Macworld Expo info Site News

Insert non-offensive, politically-correct, religiously-tolerant
holiday announcement message here

In all seriousness, I hope all of you have a happy and joyous holiday season with your friends and families, whether that means Christmas, Chanukah, or just "the last week or December." We're back home for a week, visiting both our families with our now very-talkative and inquisitive 2.5 year old daughter. Hectic, of course, but very nice to get to see everyone again, as it's been two years since the last visit.

Due to the holiday, macosxhints.com will not be updated on Monday, the 26th. Regular updates return on Tuesday the 27th, then we'll be off again on Monday the 2nd of January. Regular updates for the remainder of that week resume on Tuesday the 3rd. After that, of course, we reach Monday, the 9th of January, which is Macworld Expo week! I'll be posting updates each day that week, hopefully in the morning as usual.

Read on to see my schedule during the Expo, in case you want to stop by and say hello -- I always enjoy talking to the people who have really made macosxhints.com the amazingly useful resource that it has become.
read more (300 words)   Post a comment  •  Comments (8)  
  • Currently 1.50 / 5
  You rated: 3 / 5 (8 votes cast)

[6,726 views] Email Article To a Friend View Printable Version
A brief hints hiatus... Site News
Tomorrow is Thanksgiving in the USA, the day for good friends, too much food, too much fun, and football on TV (and in a rare treat, my Broncos are playing this year!). As such, there won't be any new hints here on Thursday or Friday (the traditional first shopping day of the holiday season; get out there and spend, retailers say!).

I published a few extra tips today to get you through the break, and we'll return again with business as usual on Monday morning. Have a safe and enjoyable Thanksgiving holiday, everyone!

As a quick aside, I'll be on the Your Mac Life radio show tonight, talking about why I have some issues with Spotlight...

-rob.
  Post a comment  •  Comments (8)  
  • Currently 2.00 / 5
  You rated: 2 / 5 (9 votes cast)

[5,548 views] Email Article To a Friend View Printable Version
Participate in the Macworld Readers' Choice Awards Site News
If you like expressing your opininon on things, for the next week or so (until November 15th), you can cast your vote in Macworld's 2005 Readers' Choice Awards.

This brief two-question survey lets you pick one hardware and one software product as "best of" for 2005. The products in the survey were chosen by the Macworld readers, not yours truly, so please don't ask me why something is or is not listed :).

The winners will be announced on Macworld.com in December, and in the February 2006 issue of the magazine.

-rob.
  Post a comment  •  Comments (3)  
  • Currently 1.86 / 5
  You rated: 4 / 5 (7 votes cast)

[3,823 views] Email Article To a Friend View Printable Version
Serving up the hints for 5% of a century... Site News
... 5 ...
read more (579 words)   Post a comment  •  Comments (36)  
  • Currently 2.33 / 5
  You rated: 5 / 5 (9 votes cast)

[9,944 views] Email Article To a Friend View Printable Version
A few minor site improvements... Site News
Today I finally had some time to do a few admin-type things that had slipped by (for quite a while, in some cases).

First, you'll notice a slew of new sites in the Links section of the What's New box. I hadn't updated this list in a while, and I apologize for that -- those of you who submitted your links in April probably thought they'd never see the light of day! I'll try to do a better job of keeping on top of it from now on (it's on a page I don't see automatically, so I often times overlook it).

Second, I've added an easy way to find all of your own posts and comments. It used to be that you could only see this info by clicking on your name in a post or comment you'd already found, often by first using the search engine. But now, there's a new link on your User Profile page (right under your name, near top of the dialog) that will show you this same info (some general profile info, last 10 hints, last 10 comments, and a link to find all your postings).

And finally, something that's been long requested ... the title of each hint is now a clickable link to the story itself. This makes it easy to email someone a URL to a specific hint, assuming you want to use your mail program and not the site's form. There aren't any link underlines, but the titles are all clickable links...

-rob.
  Post a comment  •  Comments (8)  
  • Currently 2.00 / 5
  You rated: 2 / 5 (7 votes cast)

[4,594 views] Email Article To a Friend View Printable Version
New server online... Site News
After a hectic day (thanks James and Sean!), I'm pleased to be able to say "Welcome to the new Mac OS X Hints server!" With any luck, the new server will be just like the old one, but faster.

In the event it's not, however, please just drop me an email explaining what's not working, and we'll do our best to get it taken care of ASAP. My email address is robg at macosxhints dot com. And for those of you who notice such things, the server is now hosted in the Pacific time zone, so you'll notice a differene in the time of the posts starting Monday.

And once again, thanks to Sean at Macworld and James at Out of Control Image for all the hard work that made this migration possible today!

9:30pm Update: We had some issues with posting and searching on the forums, but it seems those have been resolved now...

-rob.
  Post a comment  •  Comments (15)  
  • Currently 1.38 / 5
  You rated: 2 / 5 (8 votes cast)

[6,758 views] Email Article To a Friend View Printable Version
No new hints today - U.S. Labor Day holiday Site News
For those in the U.S., I hope you enjoy the traditional end-of-summer long weekend. Hints will return as usual tomorrow morning.

-rob.
  Post a comment  •  Comments (1)  
  • Currently 2.13 / 5
  You rated: 4 / 5 (8 votes cast)

[3,404 views] Email Article To a Friend View Printable Version