Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

We're back Site News
As I'm sure most of you have noticed, MacOSXHints was not in action since mid-May. There was an issue with the site software, but I'm really happy to say that is now fixed, and I look forward to resuming publication of new hints. This is especially pleasing as the Public Beta of OS X Yosemite approaches, and the new goodies in iOS 8 as well.

I'll just say it's good to be back.

Craig A.
  Post a comment  •  Comments (13)  
  • Currently 2.00 / 5
  You rated: 5 / 5 (18 votes cast)

[9,596 views]  View Printable Version
Moving on Site News
Today is my last day running the Mac OS X Hints website. I'd like to thank all of the site's readers, and especially those who have submitted hints, for visiting the site and helping us provide neat hints and tips about OS X.

Lex Friedman of Macworld will be replacing me. I wish him all the best, and hope that Mac OS X Hints continues to be a place where you can find great ways to work more efficiently with your Mac.

If you want to keep up with what I'm doing, visit my website, Kirkville, follow me on Twitter, or check out my articles on Macworld.
  Post a comment  •  Comments (11)  
  • Currently 4.13 / 5
  You rated: 5 / 5 (8 votes cast)

[6,574 views]  View Printable Version
No hints today Site News
No hints today, as some of us celebrate Memorial Day, and others the "late spring bank holiday."
  Post a comment  •  Comments (0)  
  • Currently 3.29 / 5
  You rated: 2 / 5 (7 votes cast)

[3,909 views]  View Printable Version
Happy Thanksgiving Site News
Happy Thanksgiving to all; no hints today. Enjoy your day of family, turkey and football, and be thankful for all you have.
  Post a comment  •  Comments (0)  
  • Currently 3.73 / 5
  You rated: 2 / 5 (11 votes cast)

[4,108 views]  View Printable Version
New Poll: Will You Buy an iPhone 5? Site News
Now that Apple has presented the iPhone 5, will you buy one? It's an evolution, not a revolution, and many people won't see the need to upgrade. In addition, lots of iPhone owners get subsidized phones and are stuck with contracts. What about you? Vote in the iPhone 5 poll.
  • Currently 2.83 / 5
  You rated: 4 / 5 (6 votes cast)

[4,160 views]  View Printable Version
New poll: Which is your preferred ebook reader? Site News
With Amazon due to present new Kindles today, I thought it would be an interesting poll topic to discuss which ebook reader you prefer (assuming you use one).

You may have more than one - I have a Kindle Touch and an iPad. (I also have an iPhone and iPod touch, but don't consider them practical for reading books.) But which one do you use most? Which do you really prefer?

For me, I like the Kindle Touch because it's a lot lighter than the iPad. However, the lack of a backlight is limiting, so I do use my iPad from time to time. And for this reason, an iPad mini or iPad air would suit me quite well for reading.

Vote in the poll. And feel free to post any comments here or on the poll page.
  • Currently 2.71 / 5
  You rated: 1 / 5 (7 votes cast)

[4,479 views]  View Printable Version
OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion hints Site News
My guess is that a fair number of people likely to submit hints about Mountain Lion have developer accounts and are already running the GM. If so, you can start submitting hints now; there is already a System 10.8 category. I won't run any of these until the official release date, but I'll be able to test and prepare them in advance.

I'm looking forward to tons of interesting hints with Mountain Lion. And thanks in advance for submitting them!
  Post a comment  •  Comments (1)  
  • Currently 4.13 / 5
  You rated: 4 / 5 (8 votes cast)

[4,769 views]  View Printable Version
New poll: Does your main Mac have an SSD? Site News
As SSDs become more common, and prices drop, more and more people are either buying Macs with SSDs, or installing them in their Macs. Personally, I started using an SSD with the first MacBook Air in 2008, and bought my current Mac - a Mac mini, purchased in 2011 - with an SSD. The gains in performance are huge, though the price still makes them a choice that is not for everyone.

So, what about you? Does your main Mac - the one you use most - have an SSD? Feel free to post in the comments to the poll which model, whether you bought it with the Mac or installed it yourself, or any other comments you may have about SSDs.

Vote in the poll
  Post a comment  •  Comments (28)  
  • Currently 3.57 / 5
  You rated: 5 / 5 (7 votes cast)

[10,280 views]  View Printable Version
New poll: Which is your favorite Mac? Site News
It's time for a new poll. Following Apple's quarterly earnings call, where the company announced selling 4 million Macs in the last quarter (see Macworld's discussion of Apple's earnings), this could be a good time to find out which model Mac OS X Hints readers prefer. Will it turn out that laptops are popular with readers of this site? They represent 70% of Apple's sales. Or is the Mac Pro still a favorite?

You can vote in the poll, and feel free to post comments on that page about why you selected a specific model.
  Post a comment  •  Comments (24)  
  • Currently 3.00 / 5
  You rated: 3 / 5 (7 votes cast)

[4,824 views]  View Printable Version
New poll: What will you do about the recent Mac malware attacks? Site News
Mac malware has been in the news, with the Flashback malware taking advantage of a Java vulnerability to infect several hundred thousand Macs. Macworld ran a detailed article by Rich Mogull giving the history of this malware, and discussing how it works and what you can do. But it's clear that this target represents a new level of malware on the Mac, being "the first widespread drive-by malware to attack Macs," and, as Mogull says, "it does represent a major advance."

So, I have created a new poll about Mac malware and antivirus software. What will you do about this new malware attack? What does this mean for you for the future of how you protect your Mac?
  Post a comment  •  Comments (8)  
  • Currently 1.75 / 5
  You rated: 4 / 5 (12 votes cast)

[4,752 views]  View Printable Version