I have managed to compile on Mac OS X final the "vim" editor from www.vim.org - version 5.7, but syntax highlighting is working WITHOUT COLORS - syntax elements are highlighted only by "underline" attribute, not by colors. Does anybody know:
a. how to activate colors in vim in Mac OS X?
b. how to run vim as gvim, i.e. in graphical mode?
[Editor's note: See the comments for a discussion on how to resolve this issue]
I installed an application that came as a .pkg file. By installing the application it altered something in the application folder where the new application was placed. It locked the folder. And now i'm unable to edit in it. I'm not even able to create new folders in it.
Now i'd like to get trash the installed application but it's locked as everything in that folder. I can open everything in the folder but that's about. For some reason the administrator only gets the "read only" privileges. The application was jCalendar by the way.
This probably goes in the category of "How come you didn't know that already?!" but I think it's worthy of a mention. I've started using OmniWeb (as of fc3) as my (nearly) full-time browser, so I'm just starting to learn its subtleties. One thing that bugged me in earlier builds was the layout of the navigation bar.
This morning, by complete accident, I noticed you can move the objects on the bar by dragging them with the "command" key held down -- cool! In addition, as pointed out in the comments, control-click in the nav bar in an empty location, and you'll see a sheet of further customization options. Very impressive!
I now have a layout that I find much more usable. As a general comment, I really like the latest OW, even though it does some not so good things on this page (the "Favorite OS X Apps" box gets muddled pretty badly), and I can't yet use it with my home banking service. It's very fast and stable, and the page rendering is beautiful! They'll be getting a check from me, as I like the idea of supporting Microsoft competition!
I moved applications like mail, sherlock, explorer into a folder. The result was that the next time i logged in the application was shown as a "?" in the dock. This wasn't really a problem. I just moved the apps back into the dock and they work just fine again. With one exception. Sherlock didn't work anymore with the "command F" key combo. It returns a messages saying it cannot find the application.
Any ideas on how to change the orginal position of an application? So that for example "command F" will work.
I had a similar problem with TextEdit. The Terminal couldn't find the application that was removed from it's orginal position.
I really like to change the original positions so i can create a more structural hiearchy in my folders. The way Apple did it is too messy for me.
A generous Mac user, 'olav', has made a pre-packaged double-click PHP 4.04 installer available! Thanks to 'jacco' for the pointer to the address.
NOTE: The following instructions apply to the files found in the "Archive" folder on olav's iDisk -- see the comments for a discussion of problems related to the new package that's also there at the root level. I installed from the 'Archive' files, and had no problems at all.
You can find the PHP files on olav's iDisk, right here.
This is about as easy as it gets for installing PHP 4; read the rest of this article if you'd like the (simple) step by step instructions.
[Editor's note: See the comments for a good discussion and solution to this question]
I just managed to get bash compiled and running but I have a problem whenever I switch the shell in Terminal.app's preferences.
If I set it to bash, zsh or anything besides tcsh, it seems that I can only use commands from /bin. I mean, I'm missing basic stuff like ping and traceroute. I can su root and copy commands from /sbin or /usr/bin, but this doesn't seem like the right way to go about using my spiffy new shell.
Oddly enough, I can start Terminal with tcsh and then temporarily switch to bash, and everything works perfectly. Tried using chsh, but it launches vi, and vi and I are not on speaking terms.
Need help from someone who knows what the heck I'm doing wrong.
Whew! Just got through installing DNSUpdate. I had trouble with the installer. It started up, but didn't seem to do anything. By looking at the uninstall directions, I figured out how to install it manually though.
I untarred the Files.tar.gz in the installer:
sudo tar xzvf DNSUpdateInstaller.app/Contents/Resources/Files.tar.gz
That got me most of the way. But it seems that the location of the StartupItems folder has changed since the Public Beta, so I had to move it:
[Editor's note: I have replaced the original method listed here with a much safer version. The "find" command line hack removes some Epson and Apple files that also end in ".lproj".]
If you plan on using your machine for only English (or only one of the other languages), you can safely remove the foreign language files (*.lproj) from your drive, freeing up over 200mb of space. "Since EBCDIC" posted a script in this MacFixit forum thread that does the trick.