Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the 'One way to migrate an iTunes collection to another drive' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
One way to migrate an iTunes collection to another drive
Authored by: ms_t_rie on Jun 18, '08 08:43:40AM

I haven't tried this, but since it's an XML file, why wouldn't a search and replace on the XML data, correcting the location, work? I'm curious, I do have a drive that I want to move but have resisted doing so precisely for the problems others have mentioned. If editing the XML file works, then that seems like the simplest solution to me. I really don't want to import all the music again and delete duplicates, since it will take a long time for that to happen.

One way to migrate an iTunes collection to another drive
Authored by: Melle on Jun 18, '08 08:56:16AM

This does work, actually. You can search and replace in the xml file. There is one additional thing you'll have to do, which is to delete the contents of the matching .itl-file (not delete the file, just make it an empty file). This way, iTunes will 'regenerate' the Library based on the xml file.
If you don't 'zero' the itl-file, iTunes will ignore the updated xml-file and regenerate that in stead.
Hope that made any sense...

One way to migrate an iTunes collection to another drive
Authored by: ms_t_rie on Jun 18, '08 10:40:31AM

Thank you, that's probably the way I'll fix it when I move the drive :) Much easier since I'm planning to attach it to our NAS and while the wireless is reasonably fast, it's not direct attached speeds!

I'm not worried about play counts and such, so deleting the .itl file will work fine for me.

One way to migrate an iTunes collection to another drive
Authored by: fanguad on Jun 18, '08 10:12:08AM

As Melle says, this does work - mostly. iTunes will treat the files as being recently imported if you recreate the .itl file from the .xml file. This means that you will lose your play count/date added, etc. IIRC, this method keeps your ratings.

This method would also lose any metadata stored in the .itl file, like track artwork (if it isn't stored inside the files).

One way to migrate an iTunes collection to another drive
Authored by: Melle on Jun 19, '08 01:39:01AM

Could it be this has changed over the years? I did this a little less than a year ago, and my play counts/dates added/last dates played were all in tact, as far as I remember. Not sure about the artwork, though I believe that was all still there as well.
In fact, if I look in the xml file right now, that contains all the mentioned info. Note that the xml and itl file are roughly the same size as well. Though I do have to admit I'm currently at work, and can only check on a Windows box.

One way to migrate an iTunes collection to another drive
Authored by: fanguad on Jun 19, '08 05:05:39AM

I just tried this at work (Windows). It kept the play count and last played date, but lost date added.

One way to migrate an iTunes collection to another drive
Authored by: Perceval on Jun 18, '08 11:03:40AM

That's what I did first, and worked - sort of. All of my unfound tracks were found but duplicated (in the library, not the individual files), and the play count was reset.