Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the 'cdrtools Not Working' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
cdrtools Not Working
Authored by: Anonymous on Aug 04, '02 06:31:45PM

I downloaded and compiled the source code w/o using fink. I then created an image using "mkisofs" with no problems. However, when I tried to burn a CD using "cdrecord", I ran into problems. First it complained that it was unable to set priority using setpriority(), and warned about buffer underrun. So I repeated the command to execute "cdrecord", but this time w/ sudo. It then complained

cdrecord: No local SCSI transport implementation for this architecture.

I repeated the command several more times trying different names for the device other than "IOCompactDiscServices", but to no avail. Has anyone run across something like this?

cdrtools Not Working
Authored by: jecwobble on Aug 14, '02 01:47:05PM
I had the same experience last night. It's taken me quite some effort to get the source compiled and working, and I really would like to get this to work. I tried "IODVDServices" because that's what I found for IOKit using ioreg -l. I have a SuperDrive, though, not a ComboDrive as the author mentions. I'm at a loss!

Needs a generic SCSI driver?
Authored by: jecwobble on Aug 19, '02 03:55:38PM
I found this README.macosX on the creator's site. It's different than the one that unpacked with my download. It says:
Apple did remove the generic SCSI transport driver for unknown reasons! Cdrtools compile, but as there is no SCSI transport, you may only write CD's connected to other systems using the REMOTE SCSI protocol.
Could this be the problem?

Needs a generic SCSI driver?
Authored by: bluehz on Aug 19, '02 10:19:49PM

Anyone know how to identify an external CD burner? I mean its got to show up in that list when you ioreg -l. I'm not saying it will work with cdrecord - but hey - ifg I could at least identify it in the list - I would have a fighting chance. cdrecord works great with my internal Plextor - I just like the option.

Needs a generic SCSI driver?
Authored by: machiavel on Aug 20, '02 05:35:50AM

Your burner will show up in ioreg -l, but unless it's a SCSI device (i.e., it can't be a USB or Firewire burner), you won't be able to use cdrecord (unless you write your own driver). Your burner will probably show up in ioreg under its name. Paste the ioreg -l output to textedit and run a search with your burners name. My Que USB burner shows up as "Que! Drive USB@2100000 <class IOUSBDevice>"

Needs a generic SCSI driver?
Authored by: bluehz on Aug 20, '02 09:15:07AM
This tidbit from the cdrecord site makes me think there might be a glimmer of hope:
ATAPI-SCSI emulation is the native method of supporting ATAPI devices. Just imagine that IDE is one of many SCSI transport mechanisms. This are some SCSI transports: - Parallel SCSI (what most people call SCSI) - SCSI over fiber optics - SCSI over IEEE 1394 (Fire Wire) - SCSI over USB - SCSI over IDE (ATAPI) As you now see, the use of the naming convention "ATAPI-SCSI emulation" is a little bit misleading. It should rather be called: "IDE-SCSI host adapter emulation"
Full text here My external FW is also a QPS and is controlled by Native OS X drivers - works beautifully - never had a day of problems from it.

Needs a generic SCSI driver?
Authored by: machiavel on Aug 20, '02 05:48:53AM

I doubt that lack of "generic SCSI transport" is the problem, because cdrecord works on my fp imac (with CD-RW) without any problems, and it obviously worked on the machine of the author of this hint. Perhaps cdrecord, for some reason, doesn't work with the superdrive.