Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!


Click here to return to the '10.5: Repair Time Machine after logic board changes' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
10.5: Repair Time Machine after logic board changes
Authored by: readparse on May 30, '08 11:41:02PM
I have to say that this finally worked for me, after it first did not work for me and I was about to give up on it. I was trying so hard to copy exactly the commands that the author gave that I neglected to put in my machine's new MAC address and instead typed the one that the author used as an example. It was only after going back and re-checking everything that I realized there was in inconsistency.

The subsequent backup, at least the first one, took a very long time to prepare (like maybe 10 or 15 minutes) but I was patient and now it appears to be doing an update to the old backup tree. Awesome. So we'll see how it goes and if I can indeed browse through my windows like before my logic board was replaced. I'll reply to this comment when I know the answer. It doesn't look like this 1.9 GB update is going to be done very soon. I don't know how big my updates have been lately, but it's been 10 days since I brought the Mac back home from the store and I haven't had a chance to look at this since then.... so 2 GB over 10 days is reasonable.

Thanks a LOT for this hint. I found the hidden file with the ethernet Mac address and thought that was all there was to it. I would probably have given up on my old backups before finding the additional xattr stuff. Awesome.

[ Reply to This | # ]

10.5: Repair Time Machine after logic board changes
Authored by: readparse on May 31, '08 12:19:29AM
As promised, here's my reply to report on the success of browsing my Time Machine backup tree after letting my machine know of the new ethernet MAC address in two different places: That one hidden file (the one starting with a dot, followed by the MAC address) and the attribute modified with the xattr command.

When I first tried this, as I said in the previous post, I got the MAC address wrong in the xattr command. And the result was that it would have backed up my system, but in a directory named the same as my original directory, with a 2 added. So "Foo Computer 2" instead of "Foo Computer". This was not acceptable AND I don't have enough space on the external drive to back up the whole thing again.

Having gone back and checked and rechecked my work, I got it to work as expected and as advertised. The 1.9 GB incremental backup succeeded and I'm able to browse through all of my backup data in the Time Machine wormhole interface. Yee-hah. And I just forced a second manual backup to verify that everything is fine and it's doing small incremental backups again. All is well.

Thanks again!

[ Reply to This | # ]