Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the '10.5: Create a three-partition Boot Camp setup' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
10.5: Create a three-partition Boot Camp setup
Authored by: pbw on May 10, '08 07:55:51PM

I'd like to thank the contributors to this hint. I had Leopard and Boot Camp installed on a single drive in my MacBook. I replaced the drive with a 250GB HD and wanted to create 2 bootable OSX partitions and keep my Boot Camp partition. I did the following (using a combination of comments here):
1) Cloned my original OSX partition with SuperDuper.
2) Clone the Boot Camp partition with WinClone.
3) Formatted the new drive with Disk Utility (1 partition).
4) Restored OSX with SuperDuper.
5) Used the Boot Camp Assistant to only create the Windows partition then quit.
6) Restored my old Boot Camp partition with WinClone.
7) Used Disk Utility to resize the Leopard partition. Then created a new MacOS Extended (Journaled) partition with the new free space.
8) My Boot Camp partition failed to load with a blue screen and "UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME".
9) Installed MacFuse and NTFS_3G.
10) Opened the boot.ini file on the Boot Camp partition within OSX using TextWrangler. Changed the 3's to 4's. (Used Disk Utility to find out the new partition # assigned to Boot Camp after I created the new OSX partition).
11) Rebooted into Boot Camp and it worked!

10.5: Create a third NTFS partition with Boot Camp
Authored by: chazsconi on Jun 13, '08 11:06:18AM
Thankyou PWB for these simplified instructions. However I wanted my extra partition to be NTFS, which with MacFuse and NTFS_3G will be accessible from Leopard and XP. To do this I did the following:
  1. Followed all of PWB's instructions to step 11.
  2. Checked XP still booted.
  3. Went back into OSX and used Disk Utility to format the new partition with NTFS instead of MacOS extended. (This option is available if you have got MacFuse/NTFS_3G installed)
  4. Step 3 will report an error due to a permissions problem
  5. Go to the terminal
  6. Change the ownership of the disk: sudo chown user_id:operator /dev/disk0s3 Replace user_id with your logged on user id.
  7. Re-do step 3 in Disk Utility which should now succeed. Change the ownership back to root: sudo chown user_id:operator /dev/disk0s3
  8. Done. You should now have 3 partitions: MacOS with Leopard; NTFS with XP installed and between the two an new empty NTFS partition
The only minor problem I have found with this is that within Leopard if I go to start-up disk within settings it cannot see the XP partition, so I can not reboot to XP from within Leopard. I have to reboot, hold down the Option key at startup and then select Windows from the menu manually.

Something else I have learnt from this exercise, which involved an lot of trial-and-error and rebooting, is that it's not a good idea to create or change any partitions from within Windows using the Disk Management snap-in in Computer Management. This either fails, results in partitions that OSX cannot see, or causes Windows to fail to boot once the partitions are created. It may be possible to do this successfully using the extended options available from the command line in Windows, but I didn't try this. In summary only use OSX to mess around with the partitions.

10.5: Create a third NTFS partition with Boot Camp managed to get it to work on 10.4 too
Authored by: davejcb on Nov 25, '09 06:07:05AM

Using this a great big thanks to these guys.

Have edited with *******

10.5: Create a three-partition Boot Camp setup
Authored by: pbw on Sat, May 10 2008 at 7:55PM PDT
1) Cloned my original OSX partition with SuperDuper.
2) Clone the Boot Camp partition with WinClone.
3) Formatted the new drive with Disk Utility (1 partition).
4) Restored OSX with SuperDuper.
5) Used the Boot Camp Assistant to only create the Windows partition then quit.

***Didnt do this as i was starting from fresh***

6) Restored my old Boot Camp partition with WinClone.

*** Ignored 6***

7) Used Disk Utility ***from cd*** to resize the Leopard partition. Then created a new MacOS Extended (Journaled) partition with the new free space.

***(mine actually went into a constant restart loop)***

9) Installed MacFuse and NTFS_3G.

***(I didnt do this as i was happy for my 3rd partition to be fat32***

11) Rebooted into Boot Camp and it worked!

10.5: Create a third NTFS partition with Boot Camp
Authored by: chazsconi on Fri, Jun 13 2008 at 11:06AM PDT

1. Followed all of PWB's instructions to step 11.
2. Checked XP still booted.
4. Step 3 will report an error due to a permissions problem
5. Go to the terminal

*******************************************************
FOR 10.4 i found that the same procedure didnt work. I had to change the system clock to allow bootcamp to work as it was a beta (try 07.06.07)
Then used bootcamp as normal and setup windows (i had done this back in 2007 but used NTFS as windows and wanted to reduce the size)

Once windows was installed I used a 10.5 install disc 1 to access the disc utility. i was then able to do the same steps as before from steps 7 of PWB's post

I now have an XP (Fat 32) SERVICE (FAT 32) and Macintosh HD (Macintosh Journaled) Partitions on 10.4 and 10.5 OSX

This means i can now save a norton ghost image of windows to the service drive, when i want to reinstall windows i can boot from the ghost boot CD and recover the XP image from the service drive.

10.5: Create a three-partition Boot Camp setup
Authored by: Macbie on Nov 13, '09 11:50:13AM

Hello all,

I am trying to follow these instructions, but I am running into a difficulty which has not been documented here yet.

Hardware is a Macbook Pro 15" 2.0GHz

I am trying to install OSX 10.5 Leopard as a main system, Windows XP for the unfortunate times when Windows is a must (You don't believe the amount of crappy software that teachers are forced to use sometimes...).
In addition to that I want to have two data partitions, the main one for Mac use, the little one to be used by both OS to simply share data. I have a 250GB drive, so my proposed partition looks like

OSX 10.5 50GB
Data (HFS) 140GB
Dual (FAT32) 30GB
WindowsXP 10GB

Now I understand that people write that Windows ought to be the third partition, which is ok with me. To begin with I tried to make it simple, with three partitions.
I followed all the steps above, but from step 7 onwards it does not play ball. Of course step 7 complains as described with "if you do that, bootcamp will fail" and I expected that. But... when I hold down the Alt-key on booting... it does not even show me the option for Windows. There is only the symbol for the Mac option there! So I don't even get to the bluescreen, it simply does not acknowledge any other installs.

I installed both rEFIt and bootpicker (not at the same time of course) and rEFIt did tell em that the partition table looked a bit wrong and fixed it. yet still no chance of seeing a Windows boot option.

Now according to the rEFIt website, I can just build the entire disk with an MBR partition table, which would make this all easier. But then I'd not be able to install OS X again off the disk.

Overall while I admire the ease of use of Disk Utilities, it is infuriating how it insists on re-allocating space in your partitioning all the time. I ahve not found how to make sure that the bootcamp partition does not end up at the bottom (i.e. 4th). Is there a better partitioning tool available which is known to work well with OSX? Given that it is based in Linux, it is a bit sad to see the partitioning so crippled...

Any hints for partitioning my disk to enable my scheme would be massively appreciated! Thank you!
MacNewbie