Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the '10.5: Force FileVault to read Launch Services data' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
10.5: Force FileVault to read Launch Services data
Authored by: diamondsw on Mar 19, '08 08:35:05AM

Good tip, but please don't use this as a soapbox for your pet bug. You have LaunchServices issues you can work around - I have kernel panics coming from kernel firewalling code. Who should be prioritized here? Just file your bug and let them do their work.

10.5: Force FileVault to read Launch Services data
Authored by: unforeseen:X11 on Mar 19, '08 09:32:12AM

Pet bug? Yes, kernel panics are more serious, but since we FileVault-users have to logout every time we want to have TimeMachine generate a backup, I have to log out daily. Imagine the pain it is to revert to my own default Apps every morning!

I must say I'm growing more and more disappointed with Apple, this is the kind of things that have just worked in previous systems (and I'm talking System 7.5+ here), and with Leopard, Apple introduced some very annoying bugs. GET YOUR WORK DONE, CUPERTINO!!!

---
this is not the sig you`re looking for.

10.5: Force FileVault to read Launch Services data
Authored by: barefootguru on Mar 19, '08 12:11:45PM

This has been intermittently happening to me since at least Tiger, but it's always after rebooting, never on logout.

10.5: Force FileVault to read Launch Services data
Authored by: Typhoon14 on Mar 19, '08 12:27:19PM

Yes, this does happen only on a reboot. This gives you lots of times to make many changes to the LaunchServices database, only to see them all fly away as soon as you have to restart for any reason. Fun!

10.5: Force FileVault to read Launch Services data
Authored by: unforeseen:X11 on Mar 19, '08 01:20:41PM

Yes, you're right, only on reboot. However, since SteerMouse stopped working for me after a logout/re-login with Leopard, Restarting is the only option I have in order to get my Backup... :-P

---
this is not the sig you`re looking for.

10.5: Force FileVault to read Launch Services data
Authored by: Typhoon14 on Mar 19, '08 10:55:14AM

"pet bug"? This is a serious issue, and it occurs for anyone using filevault, not just in specific circumstances. When using a major OS function, another major function does not work. I do not know what firewall bug you're talking so I can't say how wide ranging it is. In any case, the two are not related. I want lots of people to tell apple to fix this bug so it gets fixed sooner. If you want the bug you speak of fixed, publicize it and get people to submit bug reports. Don't go around complaining that other people want apple to fix different bugs. This doesn't help anything and just makes people mad.

10.5: Force FileVault to read Launch Services data
Authored by: johnsawyercjs on Mar 19, '08 12:45:04PM

As Typhoon14 says below, this is a serious issue, affecting other people too, so his tip is not a soapbox for his "pet bug". MacOSXHints isn't just for reporting ways to get OS X to do things that aren't always obvious--it's also for reporting fixes and workarounds for bugs. This tip isn't out of place or self-serving at all--it's using MacOSXHints in exactly the way it was intended.

It wouldn't be productive for him to keep the tip to himself, or just let it appear in Apple Discussions, or disappear into the Apple bug reporter, to maybe get fixed some day, while people who need the fix simply wait. If you have kernel panic problems, see if you can figure out, or if someone else has, a fix or workaround, and report it here and elsewhere. Nobody will blast you for it--they'll thank you. There's no issue of "prioritization" in tips, bugs, etc. submitted here on MacOSXHints.

10.5: Force FileVault to read Launch Services data
Authored by: michelcolman on Mar 20, '08 01:07:45AM

This bug deserves to be fixed asap, as it does affect many users. It used to affect me too, before I switched to a non-FileVault account with a seperate encrypted disk image that holds my mail and personal stuff. I never figured out it had something to do with FileVault.

It's apparently very easy to fix, too, so it will take an Apple engineer maybe 5 minutes before he starts working on your pet kernel panic bug ;-)

So it deserves to be bumped up a little by multiple bug reports. Which would you do first?

- Major bug that affects one user and may take days or weeks to figure out, let alone fix.
- Minor bug that affects lots of users and takes 5 minutes to fix.

10.5: Force FileVault to read Launch Services data
Authored by: mjb on Mar 20, '08 03:27:36AM
Just because the workaround is 'easy', doesn't mean that the correct fix will also be as easy. It will most likely take an apple developer significantly more than 5 minutes.

10.5: Force FileVault to read Launch Services data
Authored by: Typhoon14 on Apr 02, '08 08:10:43PM

Now, there is one thing this does not fix, and that is the fact that the "this is the first time you've run this application" dialogs will appear every time after you logout or restart. For any appication not used prior to activating filevault. I believe these messages to be handled by the launchservices database as well, but for some reason this hint does not effect them.