Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the 'Use Amazon S3 to automatically back up your Mac' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
Use Amazon S3 to automatically back up your Mac
Authored by: monickels on Feb 11, '08 08:14:43AM

I second Mozy. The Mac client is still in beta, but the latest version seems to do exactly what it's supposed to. Also, it is specifically a backup service, so they will send you DVDs of your data, if you request them (at a cost, of course). A colleague lost her hard drive and was able to recover nearly everything.

---
Double-Tongued Word Wrester: a growing dictionary of old and new words from the fringes of English. http://www.doubletongued.org/

Mozy
Authored by: moxieboy on Feb 11, '08 08:40:40AM

Can anyone else comment on Mozy? Recent twitterings [tweetscan.com] have been mixed.

That said, Mozy seems like the most cost-effective option [oreilly.com] for home users.

Mozy
Authored by: legacyb4 on Feb 28, '08 11:05:18PM
Mozy had some issues with earlier versions of their Mac agent; I've found the recent build (0.9.0.0 26912) to be pretty consistent and no longer hangs doing the backups.

Of course, they offer a free 2GB option which will cover most non-media data within reason; sign up with my referral link below and we BOTH earn an extra 256MB of storage capacity! Follow the link, click on MozyHome then click on the MozyHome Free link to sign up.

Mhttps://mozy.com/?code=SVU4AA

Use Amazon S3 to automatically back up your Mac
Authored by: benlan on Feb 11, '08 08:52:14AM

I unsecond your second.

For larger amounts of data (>100 GB), Mozy is still too buggy to be useful. It gives all sorts of spurious error messages and never seems to complete a backup. Maybe once it's out of beta, who knows...but it's buggy as hell right now.

Use Amazon S3 to automatically back up your Mac
Authored by: ShawnLevasseur on Feb 11, '08 11:58:06AM

I add a caveat to the unseconding of the seconding.

You really shouldn't be backing up 100GB + of data online.

Media files, your operating system, and applications are better backed up via other forms of off-site backup. (Physically writing to another drive, or optical disk, and taking that media off site, would be the better method.)

Online backups are best for critical data that changes frequently.

Use Amazon S3 to automatically back up your Mac
Authored by: Rylin on Jan 14, '09 04:02:03AM

That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard.
In your bandwidth starved little country, online backup might not be ideal.

I have roughly 20Mbps upstream -- 25 on a good day.
There's absolutely no reason I shouldn't back up my 140GB photo library to an off-site service via the Internet.

Yes, the first backup takes a bit of time (16 hours in this case), but everything after that is a differential backup, and takes very little time, even in the event that I go shooting a few GB of photos.

Stop being ignorant, and stop trying to hinder progress.