Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the '10.5: Make a bootable Time Machine backup drive' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
10.5: Make a bootable Time Machine backup drive
Authored by: RetroSpaceman on Jan 24, '08 10:15:06AM

You can use Carbon Copy Cloner to clone the install DVD to your Time Machine drive if you don't want to reformat. Just make sure nothing at the root level of your Time Machine drive is named the same as any of the root level of the install DVD. You can see what these are once you launch Carbon Copy Cloner. I tried it and it worked without a hitch. I avoided having to shuffle 200GB of data already stored on the Time Machine drive.

10.5: Make a bootable Time Machine backup drive
Authored by: dashard on Jan 25, '08 08:10:45AM
That's an excellent hint all on its own. Well done.
Didn't think about that when I read the earlier question about Disk Utility.

Well done.

10.5: Make a bootable Time Machine backup drive
Authored by: barryf on Jan 25, '08 11:57:39AM

RetroSpaceman --

This seems like a great idea, so I gave it a while, using CCC to copy my Tiger Install DVD onto an existing volume that contains both my current TM backups folder and some other folders that I use for backing up things like my Parallels disk image that I don't want TM to deal with.

BUT... when I re-booted with the option key held down I was offered my TM drive as a start-up option. I got to the point where I had a grey screen with the spinning "clock" thingy, but it spun and spun and never got to the installer's welcome screen.

Any ideas? Did I miss a step that should be completed after running CCC?

Thanks,

-Barry

10.5: Make a bootable Time Machine backup drive
Authored by: barryjaylevine on Jan 25, '08 03:07:20PM

Wonder if the HD isn't initialized properly (old vs. GUID)?

---
-----
Two things in this world aren't overrated: Macintosh and Lemon Meringue Pie.

10.5: Make a bootable Time Machine backup drive
Authored by: gadgetdoctor on Jan 26, '08 08:50:22AM

I've had exactly the same failure after copying the DVD to a Lacie Firewire disk with CCC. Grey spin stays for as long as I can be bothered to wait until I power down.

Drive is formatted as Mac OS Extended (Journaled) Apple_HFS with GUID.

No idea why this won't work. I have another drive like this with a dedicated partition that I use with SuperDuper (I'm still running Tiger).

GadgetDoctor

10.5: Make a bootable Time Machine backup drive
Authored by: Casemon on Apr 29, '08 12:04:06AM

Interesting tip. I tried this on my time machine volume and was able to successfully boot from the volume into the installer without losing my time machine backups (2 machines). The problem is when I select Restore from Time Machine the time machine backups do not appear on the list; it just keeps searching and searching...

any ideas on a work around? Would love for this solution to work without a hitch.