Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the 'So are AFP network drives OK?' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
So are AFP network drives OK?
Authored by: Fanglord on Dec 17, '07 10:00:37AM

I've been wanting a Time Machine backup to a network drive since I heard about TM in the first place. Having a local hard drive as the only acceptable backup location defeats one of the the main tenets of creating a backup; that it should be in a different physical location from the original.

From the other hints posted here, Apple contemplated allowing network backups (otherwise why have the preference available, though hidden?).

At my work, I have a 2TB XRaid array that I would love to use for my backup, but am wondering at the safety involved.

Rather than reinvent the wheel, I thought I'd ask y'all out there if anyone had tried the different possible mount points (AFP, SMB, and NFS), to see what pitfalls there might be.

If nobody's done this, maybe I'll give it a whirl (with a known good Time Machine backup on a local drive, first!)

So are AFP network drives OK?
Authored by: cdaiger on Dec 17, '07 10:04:46AM

I am using my ReadyNAS NV+ as my Time Machine drive via AFP. I have not run out of space yet so I can't tell if data is being deleted. Can anyone confirm that this is not a problem using AFP?

So are AFP network drives OK?
Authored by: Crazor on Dec 20, '07 12:35:58PM

With Netatalk, this does not work. Same problem as with SMB.

So are AFP network drives OK?
Authored by: stokessd on Dec 17, '07 10:56:53AM

I don't have extensive experience with this, but here's what I have:

My macbook Pro and my wife's macbook both backup wirelessly to an openSUSE based server with a software raid array (2.5TB). I'm using openSUSE 10.3 and what I think is still the most recent release of netatalk. I share various directories on the raid both via SMB and AFP (apple-babble). I've been reliably backing up both computers every hour since November 8th. I have specified the max size of the backup sparse-image (via a previous hint) and haven't hit that limit yet. I'm also advertising the services on the server (mDNS also known as bonjour) using avahi.

The server is attached via gigabit ethernet to an airport extreme. The computers typically backup via the airport extreme wireless connection, but at times I've got them attached to a wired connection if the computer is on either of our desks. TM doesn't seem to care as long as it can see the server.

I've restored several files and applications over the last month or so partially out of need and partially as a test. So far it's worked flawlessly.

The really impressive parts are how nicely it behaves when away from home and TM can't connect to the server. And how nicely it resumes when I am finally back at home.

At this point I have to say that it seems robust for my hardware configuration and I'm quite pleased with how well it works, and how it stays out of the way when working. The only indication that it's working is that the network share mounts and appears on the desktop, then disappears a minute or so later.

However, it's not my only backup, I also used superduper before Leopard and I'm using Carbon copy cloner until superduper is leopard ready. I use TM for daily backups and every week to month (depending on computer usage), I do a complete system backup (smart backup typically). I do that to a pair of external drives. One of which lives in a fireproof box. I've got a couple time yearly offsite backup that lives in my parents guest room and gets updated when we visit.

The beauty of TM is that it's got your back every hour, no other backup scheme that I've ever seen implemented keeps such fresh backups as you work. I treat it as a stop-gap between what I consider my true backups.

Sheldon

So are AFP network drives OK?
Authored by: Wodgy on Dec 17, '07 11:47:08AM

XRaid is a supported configuration for Time Machine, isn't it? You don't have to enable this hack, just be running Leopard on the server.

So are AFP network drives OK?
Authored by: Fanglord on Dec 17, '07 12:43:21PM

I believe leopard server is a possibility, but over the network? Anyway, I'm running Tiger Server on the Xserve, and have no plans to run Leopard any time soon. Also, I'd love to set something up for my home computers to back each other up via the network. Still not perfect (i.e. off-site), but better than the half-a$$ed way I'm doing it now. Currently I'm just burning CDs of stuff I think is important. I could set something up with rsync, etc., but I've been so looking forward to Time Machine being my backup of choice, both for ease of use and as an example to my PC using friends!

So are AFP network drives OK?
Authored by: Wodgy on Dec 17, '07 01:09:36PM

You don't need Leopard Server to use Time Machine over a network. Just regular Leopard is fine. I do this at home. It's a supported configuration (in the help files and everything).