Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the '10.5: View the new 'man' pages on upgraded systems' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
10.5: View the new 'man' pages on upgraded systems
Authored by: muckilius on Dec 14, '07 10:58:52AM
summary of the privious posts:

if you have ugraded form tiger to leopard, the old man-pages are still remain on your system. Follow the the steps to remove the old man-pages.
1. Make a backup of all you man pages:

sudo find /usr/share/man -exec test -e {}.gz \; -exec tar --absolute-names -rzvf ~/man.tgz {} \;
2. preview of the delete-command (It will only echo the rm -command.)

sudo find /usr/share/man -type f -exec test -e {}.gz \; -exec echo rm {} \;
3. If you are statisfied with the result of (2.) the you can delete all old man pages:

sudo find /usr/share/man -type f -exec test -e {}.gz \; -exec rm {} \;

Later you can delete your backup ~/man.tgz or you can restore it with tar xzf ~/man.tgz

10.5: View the new 'man' pages on upgraded systems
Authored by: wscody on Dec 17, '07 07:57:37AM

This hint appeared to work, however, when I went to delete the saved man pages (man.tgz) I could not the file anywhere.

Any ideas where man.tgz went???

10.5: View the new 'man' pages on upgraded systems
Authored by: alanb1979 on Jan 23, '08 10:23:12AM
This worked well for me except that I had to move fink's tar program out of the way while doing the update so that it used OSX's tar. Fink's tar gave the following error:
tar cannot update compressed archives

---
hiedy hoo

10.5: View the new 'man' pages on upgraded systems
Authored by: alanb1979 on Jan 23, '08 02:35:14PM

Actually I had the same problem as wscody where the man.tgz didn't show up. Turns out the z option that compresses the man pages was the problem. Maybe it is another fink conflict but I just bypassed it. The resulting man.tar file came out to about 40MB.

find /usr/share/man -exec test -e {}.gz \; -exec /usr/bin/tar -rvPf ~/man.tar {} \;

Now that the man files are all backed up, I want to verify that I indeed have both the old and new manuals. For example, the bash manual should be for bash 3, not 2.05. The following tells me there are 2 bash manuals the bash.1 modified 30-Mar-2005 while the bash.1.gz is from 23-Sep-2007.

ls -l /usr/share/man/man1/bash.*

-rw-r--r-- 1 root wheel 228193 Mar 20 2005 /usr/share/man/man1/bash.1
-rw-r--r-- 1 root wheel 70941 Sep 23 20:41 /usr/share/man/man1/bash.1.gz

Then, I did the following sequence, including the removal of the -type f as suggested by livanage.

sudo find /usr/share/man -exec test -e {}.gz \; -exec echo rm {} \;

sudo find /usr/share/man -exec test -e {}.gz \; -exec rm {} \;

Now to verify that the bash.1 file is gone.

ls -l /usr/share/man/man1/bash.*

-rw-r--r-- 1 root wheel 70941 Sep 23 20:41 /usr/share/man/man1/bash.1.gz

And man now uses the correct page.

man -w bash