Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the '10.5: Create a Time Machine size limit for networked disks' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
10.5: Create a Time Machine size limit for networked disks
Authored by: stokessd on Nov 21, '07 08:23:00AM

How about actually using the maxsize setting in the defaults file?

defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.TimeMachine MaxSize 81920

Where the size is in Kbytes.

Sheldon

10.5: Create a Time Machine size limit for networked disks
Authored by: diamondsw on Nov 21, '07 08:38:41AM

I didn't know that - thanks! This will make it much easier to use the same volume for Time Machine backups and backups of other systems. I was afraid I couldn't do it because Time Machine would gobble up the whole disk.

By the way, if the size really is in kilobytes (why??), then that's a paltry 80MB you've given it. ;-)

10.5: Create a Time Machine size limit for networked disks
Authored by: stokessd on Nov 21, '07 12:20:33PM

That command is verbatim from other tips on time machine floating around on the net. I use 250gig and 400gig for my wife's and my laptops. Think of the 80 gig as a proof of concept...

Sheldon

10.5: Create a Time Machine size limit for networked disks
Authored by: Herve5 on Nov 21, '07 01:13:07PM

gosh. Just tried here, and TM still announces 320 Gb available in spite of my 100Gb new limitation.
How does it behave for you?
Do I understand correctly that the TM preference pane should now show 100 Gb max somehow? Do I have to reboot?

10.5: Create a Time Machine size limit for networked disks
Authored by: sd on Nov 21, '07 02:26:55PM

no, that is not the same. I have read that this allows to skip files over a certain size.

10.5: Create a Time Machine size limit for networked disks
Authored by: SandManMattSH on Apr 22, '08 10:39:06PM

Does this work for local disks as well? (ie: external hard drives connected directly by firewire)