Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the 'so long retrospect?' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
so long retrospect?
Authored by: dm2243 on Jul 11, '02 02:20:42PM

great hint. some comments:

1. especially useful is the -d option, which will delete files on the target if they're not found on the source. retrospect express' "duplicate" feature lacks this ability.

2. takes less time and considerably less cpu than retrospect

3. if this is the first time you've run the CPAN shell, you'll probably discover (as I did) that you'll need to update CPAN (which can be done within the CPAN shell). CPAN will also suggest that you install a few other things...

4. I haven't yet tried this myself, but i wonder if it can create a bootable FW clone (when conjoined with the bless command).

so long retrospect?
Authored by: jmontana66 on Jul 11, '02 04:22:18PM

I tired using psync a long time ago. It had extreme difficulty writing to network volumes. SMB-mounted volumes in particular. Retrospect does this flawlessly. If all you want to do is backup to another local volume or partition, psync does the job. It won't write to CD-R or network volumes though.

so long retrospect?
Authored by: David on Jul 11, '02 08:05:49PM

You won't need to run bless seperately (although psync may use it, I'm not sure).

Psync will automatically create a bootable drive (at least, it does on my FW drive if I backup the entire HD).

David

psync is excellent!
Authored by: thatch on Jul 11, '02 08:28:28PM

I've been using psync for about a year now and it works flawlessly. I backup to an external firewire hard drive, (oxford 911 chipset with an IBM ATA inside), and it is bootable without any blessing commands. I also use it to clone to spare local partitions for testing purposes. If something goes awry with the testing, it's easy to restore using psync and it's fast too. It also does incremental backups and works in the background. The only caveat is that it won't do backups to networked drives.

-d command ? where does it go in the synapse?
Authored by: rpendell on Jul 15, '02 03:36:38PM

Where do I place th -d command in "sudo psync / /Volumes/Storage/" with Storage being my backup disk? psync duped my startup volume, I've backed up changed files, but I wanna know how to delete files on my backup that have been deleted since my last backup.

-d command ? where does it go in the synapse?
Authored by: David on Jul 15, '02 09:35:41PM