Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the 'Network Volumes / Shares not in sidebar' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
Network Volumes / Shares not in sidebar
Authored by: archdata on Nov 01, '07 07:28:37AM

I think you missed one of the most annoying features, or should I say lack of feature.

Why, and I ask that with the greatest of sighs, did Apple think that not having your network shares appear in the side bar a good thing? Anyone who works with networked drives must be going crazy because I know I am . Why show just the host system? Why do I have to click twice, once on the host and then on the share to get to my networked drives?

I say this is my "most hated missing feature"

Network Volumes / Shares not in sidebar
Authored by: Ripcord on Nov 01, '07 07:46:08AM

I believe you can drag the ones you want into the side bar once you've connected. Then when you click on them in the future and you're disconnected, it will auto-connect.

Network Volumes / Shares not in sidebar
Authored by: archdata on Nov 01, '07 08:06:40AM

Yes, that is true. However, with at least 20-30 different shares at a time and dozens more that I might need to access (I do a lot of file management) and I don't want them all in my sidebar all the time. I also have shares at home, that again, I don't need all the time. What was wrong with the old standard way that exists on every other system (yes even Windows!). I understand that sometimes a new paradigm can radically change and improve usability but I fail to see how this situation has done any of that.

Network Volumes / Shares not in sidebar
Authored by: balthisar on Nov 01, '07 10:22:19AM

This feature is why I voted "new Finder" as my favorite in the other other poll. I love the fact that I can just click the host and see all the shares there. The "eject" buttons shows which shares are mounted, and it's super easy to connect as another user. I guess that means I need to go back and change the guest user mapping on my MythTV/NAT box so I don't have to use guest all the time.

In the past, I'd have to use the Apple Menu and hope that my shares were in the recent items list, or go through three levels or so in Finder in order to get to my share, and use a modal dialog to boot.

I'm even impressed that the new Finder doesn't bog down while waiting for my sleeping drives on the box wake up! I can click a share I know is sleeping, continue browsing elsewhere, and come back to the share when I know the drive has spun up (they take a while, for some reason).

---
--Jim (me)

Network Volumes / Shares not in sidebar
Authored by: UpTown on Nov 01, '07 10:18:24AM

Totally agree. This has got to be a bug, not a feature. The work-arounds are a bit much for mortals. How about "it just works"? Cause this sure does not.

Network Volumes / Shares ARE in sidebar!!
Authored by: McKs on Nov 04, '07 04:09:37AM

This is still possible, just go to Finder preferences and hit the corresponding checkbox in the Sidebar options.