Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the 'How to turn a Bluetooth device into 'digital paper'' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
How to turn a Bluetooth device into 'digital paper'
Authored by: Nem on Oct 12, '07 12:35:47PM
Okay, I've got an Intel version of this working - but its Intel only (sorry, I'm not good with Xcode, I'm lucky I got this far).

Anyways, it's available here:

Extract this, then run Automator and then go to File -> Import Actions and select the BlueActionMove.action filen that you just extracted. The new action should show up in the "Finder" section (you should see the Bluetooth icon in there).

I created just a simple Finder plug-in that lets me right-click on files and select "Send to Phone" - which then sends the file to my cell phone. Pretty slick.

For me, though, this hint has problems with my phone. My phone will only receive the first page before it complains - the first image is too big for it to display so it freaks. I think I can still get it to work if I tweak the PDF->Image settings, though.

---
Nem W. Schlecht

How to turn a Bluetooth device into 'digital paper'
Authored by: morespace54 on Oct 12, '07 12:55:23PM

Wouldn't it be easier to keep the output as a PDF file (multi-pages or not)? Does the iPhone ave a PDF reader?

How to turn a Bluetooth device into 'digital paper'
Authored by: cryptonomicon on Oct 12, '07 01:06:16PM

Sadly the iPhone does not yet support Object Push, so this hint doesn't work for it. And if it did, I'd guess that you'd need to push an image file, as the iPhone only displays PDFs in the context of email attachments and web page downloads.

There was a cryptic message on the Apple Bluetooth developers mailing list from an Apple employee about them expanding iPhone Bluetooth capabilities in the future... so maybe someday Object Push will be added and this hint will work for the iPhone. One can only hope.

How to turn a Bluetooth device into 'digital paper'
Authored by: Nem on Oct 12, '07 02:31:27PM

I agree - I would rather just store/save a PDF file.

I can transfer *any* file I want via the Bluetooth File Exchange program to the transflash card on my phone. However, with this method (perhaps its the ObjectPush - I have no idea) my Motorola RAZR complains of an unknown file type and rejects the transfer (ie - no PDF)

Also, I have to approve file transfers on my phone, even though I've configured it to automatically accept transactions with my laptop. Again, Bluetooth File Exchange works great (no prompting on the phone). Hopefully the new Automator (this month still?) will have better Bluetooth device support.

---
Nem W. Schlecht

How to turn a Bluetooth device into 'digital paper'
Authored by: cryptonomicon on Oct 12, '07 03:21:18PM

Note that you can easily modify this hint to push a PDF file - simply don't convert the file to an image first.

How to turn a Bluetooth device into 'digital paper'
Authored by: cryptonomicon on Oct 12, '07 01:03:51PM

Try setting a custom paper size to print to - I think that PDF Services always prints at the same ppi (pixels per inch), so by reducing the paper size, you're reducing the number of overall pixels, and thus the resultant image size... I think. To do this go to the Page Setup... menu item in the File menu of an application such as Safari, then in the Paper Size drop down menu go to the bottom and pick Manage Custom Sizes...

Note that setting the paper size also allows you to adjust the aspect ratio the resultant image - my picture frame as an aspect ratio of 1.5, so I made a custom paper size of 12.75" x 8.5".

You can also adjust the JPG compression settings in the Automator workflow.

How to turn a Bluetooth device into 'digital paper'
Authored by: Swordsman on Nov 22, '09 06:07:40AM

*oops should have replied to the intel thread*

The intel version does not work under Snow Leo - OS 10.6. Says that it needs to be 'universal'.

Any advices? Would love to be able to easy peasy send files through a finder submenu instead of through the bluetooth menubar.

How to turn a Bluetooth device into 'digital paper'
Authored by: mkikkawa on Apr 06, '10 08:04:45AM

I just compiled "Bluetooth Object Push" written by Marc Schlichte on Snow Leopard and it works great at least with my Nokia N95.

If I find a right place (please suggest me!) and get permission from Marc, I will post the action.

How to turn a Bluetooth device into 'digital paper'
Authored by: mkikkawa on Apr 08, '10 08:22:08PM
I uploaded a Universal version of PushObjectBluetooth.action to my dropbox. Here is the link: PushObjectBlueetooth.zip