Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the 'The real problem is getting a free IMAP account' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
The real problem is getting a free IMAP account
Authored by: Pausanias on Oct 09, '07 12:16:56PM

The problem with this is that there are no free IMAP services out there. Even if my ISP offered an IMAP account, I would never enslave myself by using it.

The real problem is getting a free IMAP account
Authored by: kiltbear on Oct 09, '07 01:25:58PM

I'm only using the IMAP server for "live" or "current" emails that I care about. Things live there only for a very short time. After they are dealt with they are deleted. Gmail is the main historical repository which is nicely searchable.

So, I not beholden to the IMAP service provider, but I am damn beholden to Gmail, which may or may not be a problem.

The real problem is getting a free IMAP account
Authored by: sjk on Oct 09, '07 02:09:07PM
The problem with this is that there are no free IMAP services out there.
Free FastMail Guest accounts support IMAP. I recommend making the modest one-time ($14.95) "donation" for a Member level account, with fewer limitations such as being able to purchase additional mail storage and transfer resources if needed.

The real problem is getting a free IMAP account
Authored by: mjpjr on Oct 09, '07 04:52:22PM

Do you happen to know any free or otherwise IMAP service providers that let one do server-side folder filtering? I'd like to filter messages such that they show up in various folders but I don't want to have to count on one of my IMAP clients to always be on to do the dispersion of msgs into the right folders. Your iPhone will download only those folders you click on so being able to segregate your mail before the iPhone gets to it would be a wonderful thing !!!!!!

The real problem is getting a free IMAP account
Authored by: sjk on Oct 10, '07 11:40:22AM
A useful resource with answers to that and other IMAP-related questions:

ii.com · IMAP Service Providers: A Step in Dealing with Viruses, Spam, and Email Overload by Nancy McGough

Different factors determine which method(s) of server-side message processing I choose to use (primarily with FastMail and Tuffmail) to achieve the desired results.

The real problem is getting a free IMAP account
Authored by: richwiss on Oct 09, '07 08:25:46PM

I, too, have a fastmail account and have never had any problems. The web interface is a little clunky, but the IMAP service works fine.

The real problem is getting a free IMAP account
Authored by: jweill on Oct 09, '07 09:50:19PM
AIM Mail (http://mail.aim.com) gives you a free IMAP account. Or you could sign up for Fastmail (http://fastmail.fm) which isn't free, but which has an IMAP interface and which supports rich server-side filtering with Sieve. Why entrust all your personal mail to a beta service you have to hack into your favorite phone?

The real problem is getting a free IMAP account
Authored by: sjk on Oct 10, '07 11:12:34AM
Or you could sign up for Fastmail (http://fastmail.fm) which isn't free,
Guest level accounts are free, as mentioned in my previous comment.

fastmail.fm
Authored by: fizik on Oct 10, '07 11:43:57AM

I concur with other posters - fastmail.fm IMAP rocks!