Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the 'Apple Software Restore' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
Apple Software Restore
Authored by: greenergrad on Apr 12, '01 10:36:17AM

I dont' know about the article you read but whenever I use ASR, I have to carefully prepare the source file before restoring. We use ASR to build custom restore CDs for all of our 200+ workstations.

You need to download the Apple Installer engine from their developers' Web site. It contains the ASR software engine, instructions, and a custom AppleScript you will need.

To restore a volume, you need to first create an image file of the entire volume with Disk Copy then run the included AppleScript from within DiskCopy. This creates the proper checksum for ASR. I've never heard of anyone being able to run ASR from an unprepared disk image or even a raw volume.

thanks!
Authored by: robg on Apr 12, '01 11:00:25AM

Thanks for the clarification; I didn't think it could possibly be quite as easy as it sounded like!

-rob.

ASR from Raw Disks
Authored by: knirps on Apr 12, '01 01:39:28PM

I ran into the same problem as robg, to solve it I booted from an OS 9.1 CD, dragged
OSX volume onto ASR and let it "restore" a new partition on a second drive. I did this
with my OS 9.1 partition as well and there were no problems booting from either volume.

Apple Software Restore
Authored by: SkinnyT on Apr 12, '01 07:36:34PM

My experience is much like Greenergrad's, using ASR with properly prepared disk images to restore HDs on anything from LC 575s to iMac DV SEs in classroom and lab environments.

I recently attempted to create a restore image for a single partition install of OS 9.1 and OS X and was unsuccessful. The entire process, done is OS 9 because of using Disk Copy, seemed to go normally. After restoring, the machine booted into 9.1 just fine. The problem came when I tried to boot into OS X and it came up in a screwed up command line. (I'm a UNIX newbie, but know how to exit and reboot in command line-- no luck.) Restarts didn't help and I couldn't boot back into 9.1, so I restored it back to 9.0.4.

I understand that there is a version of ASR for OS X that Apple is working with now, but it's not currently available on Apple's Developer FTP site. I'd bet that when consumer machines start shipping with OS X installed that the new version of ASR will be a part of any restore CD that they come with, and that a new SDK will be available for download from Apple.

For a brief tutorial on the ASR process for OS 9.1 and earlier, check out my website:

easier way to use ASR
Authored by: dodono on Apr 23, '01 07:32:00PM

ASR can be used to copy a non-prepared disk image to any hard drive. You just need to mount the image (using DiskCopy) and then drag the mounted disk (not the file) onto the ASR icon. You can then select your target drive and restore from your image.

We use this method because it allows you to keep you images in Read/Write format, which allows us to do quick fixes without having to re-image the whole disk again.

I have not tried this method with X, but use it every day with OS 9 setups.

Don

easier way to use ASR
Authored by: slandvogt on Jun 07, '01 11:13:05AM

This almost works. All the latter steps work perfectly, BUT: You have to create a disk image. Using Disk Copy for that does NOT preserve the links from /private/etc to /etc and /private/var to /var and so on: They are there, but as files not as links... Maybe I am using Disk Copy (6.3.3) wrong... Any hints how to create disk images, that conserve the links?

easier way to use ASR
Authored by: bombich on Jun 19, '01 03:59:41PM
Check out my ASR tutorial for complete instructions on imaging an OS X system!

Apple Software Restore
Authored by: 128K Mac on Mar 19, '02 05:26:18AM

While not for mass production purposes, I read on MacFixIt that someone had used the Duplicate feature of Retrospect to create an exact, bootable disk. Tried it. It worked.

I had about 12 of data, not a great lot, includings OS X and Developer Tools on a 30MB ATA. I used "duplicate" to copy everything on the drive to am 18GB Seagate Baracuda LVD SCSI internal drive (G4 tower). Took 20-30 minutes and now I have my alternative OS X boot disk if I ever need one. Can be used as boot disk and I've played with apps on it for an hour or two and all seems perfect.

I've used Retrospect since 1994. It's an old, old Mac app and one of the three, along with BBEdit and Disk Warrior, that I don't plan to ever part with. Steve Bombich and others have some up with some excellent ideas. And I I had a lab to run with 80 Macs I might go the disk image or Carbon Copy Cloner right. But for my little "home office" setup of 4 to 8 Macs, Retrospect 5 works great.

And a "verified" restore from a duplicated volume is just as accurate as the original duplicate. Been there and done that. Several times.

It's error checking ability is superb. If it reports an error in copying a file you'd better look closely at that file to find out why it couldn't be verified. It finds more bad files for me than Norton, Disk Warrior, and Tech Tools Pro combine. And when there's a sudden large number of files that are "defective," but really aren't, that's how in the bad old days, and to this day because I still have some SCSI drives arond, it's the best tool you can find for detectling low level SCSI voodoo or a drive problem with any kind of drive.

Endorsement ends. I don't work for Dantz. But they've garnered more than a few thousand dollars from me over the years. New *nix based Mac OS or not, they're still the top Mac backup specialists. And no one knows and understands low level disk routines better than Dantz, with the possible exception of Al Whipple of Alsoft.

Rant ends. :)