Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Events | 36 comments | Create New Account
Click here to return to the 'Events' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
Events
Authored by: designbot on Aug 10, '07 12:05:16PM

Events aren't like smart albums. They don't automatically update themselves after they are created. I believe they're basically the same as film rolls, except your photos get split up into individual days when you import. If you add photos from the same date later, they won't automatically be added into the existing event, but you can merge them.

Events
Authored by: osxpounder on Aug 10, '07 12:17:46PM

Sheesh, all this time and they are still burying photos deep in some folder structure instead of using metadata?

All my photos should be in folders I choose, or in one big folder, or whatever I choose. That was supposed to be the beauty of Spotlight and file metadata.

I still keep most of my pictures in my Pictures folder, and I only let iPhoto import from the camera. Stuff I actually want to keep and use gets moved out of iPhoto eventually because iPhoto is more trouble than the help it provides.

Events
Authored by: tatilsever on Aug 10, '07 01:51:53PM

You can dump all your photos into whatever folder structure you want and then ask iPhoto not to copy when your pics are added to the library. That means you can either let iPhoto handle the organization and not worry about it or you can keep your own organization. What more do you want?

Sorry, but there is a bit too much pointless whining going on right now...

Events
Authored by: gblanco on Aug 11, '07 06:55:33PM
I've not made the purchase yet, but from what I've read here it sounds like the two major changes are:

1) Film Rolls (renamed Events) are now the "preferred" method of organization, and they are no longer the entire contents of one import, but instead the contents of one import are broken out into separate Events based on the day the pictures were taken.

2) Film Rolls (aka Events) have a new interface that looks like the iPhone main screen, where a single photo from the event is shown as the icon for the Event, and when you roll over the icon, it cycles through the photos of the Event.

Assuming none of the features of iPhoto 6 are lost, it sounds like somewhat of an improvement. The vast majority of my photos are only in a single album each, and more often than not, the shots taken on a single day are from the same "event", so this is kind of an automatic album creation of sorts. I'm not sure I'm as excited about the fact that every photo has to be in an event though. I've got a large number of random photos that don't really fit into any definable "event". I've got young kids, and the camera sits at the ready to snap a few pics here and there. I'd hate to end up with 400 different Events in a couple of years.

So, one question. In the online demo, the problem they seem to say they are solving is the explosion of albums. Seems like they are replacing it with an even bigger explosion of Events. I think the new interface looks nice. Couldn't they have just created an "Album View" with the same new UI?

Events
Authored by: raider on Aug 12, '07 07:22:50PM
Merge all the ones that don't fit in a specific event, and you will only have one event of "unknowns". If you do it each import it will never get out of hand.

Events
Authored by: Old Toad on Aug 13, '07 10:20:43AM
The events will be grouped by either 1 day, 1-week, 2 hr segments or 8 hour segments depending on how you set the Events preferences. That applies for imports from the Finder unless that option is unchecked in the Events preferences. In that case the entire import will be put into one Event.