Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the 'We have a GUI for this too.' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
We have a GUI for this too.
Authored by: Anonymous on Jun 18, '02 11:10:14PM

If this tip is of interest to you, take a look at www.afp548.com/vapor. This is a GUI for doing the SSH forwarding. While it doesn't have built-in support for Timbuktu yet, you have to specify that the remote port is 407, I should have a new version out the beginning of next week that has a nice pulldown menu for Timbuktu, smtp, pop, imap, smb, etc.

About the only thing that you really can't do with this is ftp since it uses a two port connection.

Joel

www.afp548.com

We have a GUI for this too.
Authored by: dfbills on Jun 19, '02 12:11:12AM

Joel:

It would be great if I could establish a two-way VPN connection. Is this possible? Once a connection is established in one direction, it really is a bi-directional connection. Is it possible to use this to create a tunnel back into a host which is firewalled?

Firewalled Host--->Open Host

then though this tunnel-

Open Host---> Firewalled Host ???

-d

We have a GUI for this too.
Authored by: Embro on Jun 19, '02 10:11:03PM

It's funny this should appear now. I've spent most of the day trying to get ftp to work through ssh. I need to use Dreamweaver's ability to post web pages to the defined site. I figured I should be able to do this by port forwarding 21 with ssh but it won't work. I guess it has to do with the two port issue. Is there some way to work around this?

Under OS9 MM suggests that you use MacSSH to set up port forwarding on port 21 and it should work. If that is true, and I haven't tested it, why won't ssh under osx do the same thing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

We have a GUI for this too.
Authored by: legacyb4 on Jun 19, '02 10:53:25PM

Agreed on the two port issue for Vapor. Until Joel has time to further enhance that fine app, you can take a cue from his tip sheet and do a double port forward through Terminal and it should work (I believe); at least it works fine for apps like Carracho which run on dual ports.

ssh [servername or IP] -l username -L 10240:127.0.0.1:8080 -L 10241:127.0.0.1:8081

and connect using 127.0.0.1:10240.

Cheers.

We have a GUI for this too.
Authored by: legacyb4 on Jun 19, '02 11:43:03PM

Correction on that dual port forwarding for FTP... after reading up and testing it out, it doesn't work.

Still, it does work for other apps like Carracho.

Cheers.

We have a GUI for this too.
Authored by: Embro on Jun 20, '02 08:54:26AM

The problem is that I don't think you can know the other port beforehand. When you issue the ftp PASV (passive) command I think it returns the ports it's going to use. There is an SSH command -D that sets up dynamic forwarding. The man pages aren't very clear as to what it's used for except for SOCKS. This seems like it would be the kind of thing necessary as it would recognize that it is ftp and forward the ports accordingly.

Any other suggestions?