Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the 'Speed up DNS lookups, HA' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
Speed up DNS lookups, HA
Authored by: pauldy on Jun 06, '07 08:22:03PM

This has to be one of the dumbest hints ever. About the only thing this hint does is turn all the people who use it into little hamsters running someone else's machine. I have seen this pop up several places and unless you have inherent problems with your internet provider, that you should probably bring up with them, then you have no use for this service. Unless you like being someone else's tool.

Speed up DNS lookups, HA
Authored by: romahony on Jun 06, '07 10:57:06PM

I used this for a bit but I found that many and I mean many DNS enteries were not resolved. You may see a tiny increase in speed but the two DNS servers mentioned are no good.

Speed up DNS lookups, HA
Authored by: Jonsi on Jun 07, '07 03:38:13AM

Isn't then the right thing to do to first list your local ISP DNS servers and then these OpenDNS servers in your Nerwork preferences, as a sort of reserve if your ISP's servers fail?

Speed up DNS lookups, HA
Authored by: pauldy on Jun 07, '07 02:58:23PM

Possibly, but chances are if you ISP primary and backup dns are down then your ability to get anywhere might be as wel But you could place it as a tertiary option for a backup to the backups.

Speed up DNS lookups, HA
Authored by: davidu on Jun 07, '07 01:09:35PM

We provide more than just speed benefits for people... There are all kinds of reasons to use OpenDNS. But hamster? wheel? Not really. I think I'm more of the hamster in the wheel, but I don't mind it. :-)

Speed up DNS lookups, HA
Authored by: pauldy on Jun 07, '07 03:13:06PM

I'm curious as to what you think are the reasons people should use your "service."

Speed up DNS lookups, HA
Authored by: gregraven on Jun 08, '07 06:12:44AM

Maybe you're higher up the DNS food chain than I am, but like many others I know, when I run a DNS query, I'm using someone else's machine, no matter which service I use to connect to the Internet -- I don't run my own comprehensive DNS server. Imagine that!

However, I DO like to have domain names instead of IP addresses in my log analysis reports. OpenDNS allows me to make these substitutions far faster than any of the default DNS servers to which I've had access. In my book, saving a bunch of time on a task such as this is anything but "stupid."

---
Greg Raven
Apple Valley, CA

Speed up DNS lookups, HA
Authored by: pauldy on Jun 08, '07 06:56:44AM

I use the default name servers verizon provides me without issue. If you run your own server then you should look at running a caching name server. Most linux distros offer it as a simple package you install and forget about. Windows is a bit more of a challenge but the rewards should be an even faster lookup than using a remote service.

If you are having issues with the speed of your local DNS queries then you really should take that up with whoever administrates the network in which you live.

If your using it for some other reason then you should be aware that some of the things this network does is on par with what network solutions was doing years back and got their hands slapped. Then at least your letting people make an informed decision and not baiting them into it with promises of faster internet response (which everyone wants), and instead they now have the potential for all sorts of things to happen they didn't expect. Like getting redirected to other sites or the potential of this company going out of business without the end user knowing, and someone nefarious snagging those ips and really causing some issues for people who would be the most vulnerable.

Speed up DNS lookups, HA
Authored by: gregraven on Jun 10, '07 02:56:53PM

I replied to this, but apparently hit the wrong button, so it appears in the main stream of responses.

---