Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the 'Store Developer docs on a compressed disk image' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
Store Developer docs on a compressed disk image
Authored by: IslandDan on May 03, '07 09:09:31AM

This saves about 1GB which has a current cost of under $0.50. That coupled with monthly documentation updates and the added inconvenience hardly seem worth the effort.

Store Developer docs on a compressed disk image
Authored by: frgough on May 03, '07 11:55:34AM

I'm sure you'll let us all know where we can purchase that $.50 1 GB of disk space and add it to our current hard drives.

Store Developer docs on a compressed disk image
Authored by: ttt on May 03, '07 01:11:27PM

Are you joking? Just last month I got a LaCie Firewire 250GB drive for $89 at the local MicroCenter without even trying. Looking on Pricewatch shows that you can get an internal 500GB drive for around $100. So the OP was actually being very generous, and you're only really saving about $0.20!

Store Developer docs on a compressed disk image
Authored by: lihtox on May 04, '07 07:25:00AM

You miss the point; while 1GB may only cost $0.20, you can't upgrade your current hard drive in 1GB increments. Instead, to upgrade a drive, you have to a) pay $89, b) transfer all your files over, and c) install the drive in your computer. I think this solution is rather more convenient than that.

Store Developer docs on a compressed disk image
Authored by: ttt on May 04, '07 12:06:16PM

Well you'd be wrong, mainly because you're not considering the long-term costs in maintenance. If you really just need another gig, as I said, a $10 thumb drive is likely to be a better investment than constant micromanagement of "live" compressed images. When it gets right down to it, all of /Developer is under 2GB, too, so the smart money would be to just drop $20 on a thumb drive large enough to hold it all (or stuff in on some unused iPod space) and forget about it when you're not doing development.

Laptop drive prices
Authored by: MtnBiker on May 04, '07 08:34:28AM

These don't look like prices for laptop drives, but for 3.5-in. drives.

---
Hermosa Beach, CA USA

Laptop drive prices
Authored by: ttt on May 04, '07 11:57:13AM

I don't see your point. Even at Flash drive prices of $10/GB you don't even cover minimum wage for two hours of work managing the disk space for eternity. There will unquestionably be future work maintaining the compressed image through system updates that totals more time, multiplied by however much more you make than minimum wage. If you're ever in a real crunch for disk space the best approach is to mass delete the stuff you don't need, not micromanage it.

Store Developer docs on a compressed disk image
Authored by: corienti on May 03, '07 04:14:08PM

What you're missing is people who have laptops and want to be portable. I have 160GB in my MBP and it's not nearly enough. Now, I have over 2.5 TB in total of external firewire disks, but that's not portable; so I can't relocate that folder to external disk, as they're not connected half the time.

For desktop systems, you have a valid point. But for laptops, this is an *extremely* valuable hint. We can't just cheaply add more internal storage to our laptops.

Store Developer docs on a compressed disk image
Authored by: ttt on May 03, '07 04:54:34PM

It's not just a question of how cheap internal storage is, but how much it costs to manage "live" compressed storage. With Flash drives dropping below $10/GB, it just is not worth it in terms of value to hunt around compressing odd files here and there only to have a future software update choke just to "save" an odd gig of space. In the balance, it is a heck of a lot cheaper to have an iPod or a thumb drive as supplemental storage rather than endlessly spending time manually managing the contents of your laptop drive.

Store Developer docs on a compressed disk image
Authored by: corienti on May 04, '07 04:55:28AM

That's a fair point and worth considering.
I come from slightly different viewpoint; I'm a Unix admin and DBA, so for me this kind of thing is quite straightfoward and simple and really not any particular effort at all. The idea had simply never occurred to me before, and I quite like it.

But yes for others who are not as familiar with doing this kind of thing, you're right the cost in terms of "effort" or hassle may not be worth it.

Store Developer docs on a compressed disk image
Authored by: ttt on May 04, '07 11:50:42AM
It doesn't much matter how great your skill level is in the effort department. The more you know, the more valuable your time is and the less likely you are to actually save money in the balance by spending time now on compressing it and later on working out the difficulties during system updates. If it takes me even 15 minutes to permanently save a gig of disk space, I'm costing my employer money at even Flash prices! It's fine to do for fun or just for learning or whatever, and I do have some infrequently used stuff on a compressed disk image myself, but the pace of technology has made the practice nearly useless.

Store Developer docs on a compressed disk image
Authored by: TvE on May 04, '07 03:20:04PM

And how much is it worth NOT to have a USB memory stick (that is easy to forget/loose BTW…) hanging out of your labtop, sometimes you sit with the Mac in crowded spaces (sofa/airplane) and then you might break the USB connection (or motherboard)…?

Store Developer docs on a compressed disk image