Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the 'Easily download YouTube movies via Safari' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
Easily download YouTube movies via Safari
Authored by: craigw on Apr 23, '07 11:56:54AM

You have safari stand.
That's the best way, just click & save, and it gets the appropriate name & extension.

Easily download YouTube movies via Safari
Authored by: lantzn on Apr 23, '07 01:15:47PM

OK I downloaded and installed SafariStand. I had to create the InputManager folder per the instructions. When I opened Safari and tried the contextual menu it looks as always, no option to save a flv video. Do I need to turn on one of the SafariStand preferences?

Easily download YouTube movies via Safari
Authored by: craigw on Apr 23, '07 06:30:32PM

Wait for the movie to finish downloading, then the contextual menu should show a save option.
It only works for flv's, not for swf's. And after enjoying this great feature since I found out about it, today I discovered it is broken. Apparently because I installed the latest version of flash player, which I saw complaints about (after it was too late) on both versiontracker & macupdate. Now in safari I get the same flash player contextual menu, so I thought youtube had switched everything to swf. I tried a few other sites, same result. I tried the same ones in Firefox, and am still able to download the flv. Weird.

Easily download YouTube movies via Safari
Authored by: Spartacus on Apr 24, '07 12:58:57PM
You have to Command-click the video, not Control- or Right-click it. It's not the contextual menu but another one.

Easily download YouTube movies via Safari
Authored by: craigw on Apr 24, '07 03:05:58PM

Thanks for the reminder Spartacus!
woo-hoo! It's not broken. :-)

Easily download YouTube movies via Safari
Authored by: MizuInOz on Nov 18, '07 06:25:19AM

Has anyone found a way to do this in Leopard?
I have Safari Stand installed with Safari 3.OhWhatever and it now no longer allows me to download from You Tube. I have "get flv" but this method titled the file, automatically appended the extension and saved it to my downloads file. I miss this!