Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the 'Another method of adding AVI files to iTunes' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
Another method of adding AVI files to iTunes
Authored by: mikewatt on Apr 04, '07 01:17:51PM

ALthough the hint works on some files it does not for all. Some of my DivX files that are HD and contain AC3 audio do not save to .mov properly using MPEG Streamclip or QuickTime Pro. Furthermore, creating a reference file does allow me to play DivX files in iTunes, but does not provide a streaming solution. Files do not show up in Frontrow. Does anyone have a solution so that I can stream DivX from my iMac to another Mac connected to my TV?

Another method of adding AVI files to iTunes
Authored by: Bwana on Apr 04, '07 02:19:51PM

I use d-vision to join multi-part movies and to encode the audio to mp3. ffmpegx would work just as well.

Another method of adding AVI files to iTunes
Authored by: bulletproof on Apr 30, '07 10:30:43AM
I have a Mac Mini connected to my TV and use front row to view all the media on my network.

If you are using front row, you will need to do a few things.

On the computer that has the media you wish to share:

1. Share the directory containing your media you want to share on your network.

On the computer you want to access the shared media:

1. Add a alias for "volumes" to your users "Movies" directory.

2. Add a startup script to your user to automatically add the shared network drive when your computer starts up.

I would also recommend using automatic login.

I will assume you know how to share the folder on your network and set the automatic login.

The purpose of adding an alias to "volumes" in your "Movies" directory is to give front row access to any volume connected to your system. This includes all physical, and network drives.

1. ADD VOLUMES TO MOVIES

FIRST - You will need to show all hidden files. Open Terminal. Type: defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE (hit Enter) killall Finder (hit Enter).

You can now see all hidden files.

SECOND - Locate the /Volumes folder (which was previously hidden) in your root folder. Command-option-drag the /Volumes folder into your user's Movies folder. Front row will now have access to this folder and everthing in it.

To re-hide hidden files, in your terminal window type: defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles FALSE (hit Enter) killall Finder (hit Enter).

DONE.

2. ADD STARTUP SCRIPT

Adding a startup script to your user to automatically add the shared network drive when your computer starts up is actually really easy.

1. Fire up Script Editor.
2. Type volume mount "smb://server name/share name" for 3. each share you want to automount. For example, volume mount "smb://nas/mp3" in my example.
4. Test the code.
5. Save the code as an AppleScript.
6. Save the code as an application.
7. Add the application to your System Accounts Login Items.

DONE.

This should also work for regular access to any of your media files. You will however need to have the correct codec installed to view any media requiring it. I hope that helps.

CREDITS:

The Finder II - Show Hidden Files

10.4: Open movies on any drive in Front Row

10.4: One way to automount SMB network shares

Another method of adding AVI files to iTunes
Authored by: horhey23 on Sep 22, '08 12:39:42AM

I can't get either reference movie files or the qtml files to share with another Mac on the network. I mounted all the drives where the original files are, the iTunes Music Library, still no luck.

Another method of adding AVI files to iTunes
Authored by: horhey23 on Sep 22, '08 12:48:52AM

My bad, I thought a reference file was created. This hint requires you to save the complete movie file as a new file, essentially doubling the space it will take up (unless you of course delete the original).

If for whatever reason you want to keep the original file, then a reference movie is the way to go, although it will not be available for sharing via iTunes.

Another method of adding AVI files to iTunes
Authored by: hanna26 on Apr 24, '11 05:10:52PM

hi, okayy so im not sure if i know what your talking about... i think i do but im not sure...
anyways so i think your asking if theres like another way to add movies into itunes if its .avi and
i have a solution (if thats what your talking about) well... i use something called Handbrake. you can
look it up on google and download it .. it works great i love it i have downloaded soo many movies
that were .avi and i couldnt put into itunes but someone introduced me to Handbrake (my brother)
so i decided to try it and it works amazing. anyways hope this helps and that the question wasnt posted
too long ago i couldnt find the date if you need more help just comment on this if you need help setting
up Handbrake its kinda confusing. let me know ... thankss!