Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the 'addendum: using mount_smbfs' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
addendum: using mount_smbfs
Authored by: monkeyvoodoo on Jun 11, '02 05:40:31AM
You really shouldn't need to manually mount an SMB volume in OSX. From the Finder, in the Go menu, choose Connect to server..., and input:
smb://servername/share
into the Address field.

The only time you should ever need to manually mount a share is if the share name has a space in it, or you need to specify some really weird SMB options, which in most cases, nobody would need to do.

addendum: using mount_smbfs
Authored by: balthisar on Jun 11, '02 06:13:43AM

On the other hand, mounting it manually is a good way to emulate the Windows "reconnect on startup" to networked drives. I can't remember the file offhand, but I already have "special" mounts for my /Users partition, and I'm sure all of the swap-drive hacks are similar. Putting in the mount_smbfs there would connect to the other computer every time you start up. I imagine this would happen for every user, though, which may not be a good thing. Likewise, if the volume is not available, it may not be to graceful when it tries to mount. I'll have to look into this, because my 60GB iMac drive is getting kinda full, and my Windoze-box is near emtpy -- plenty of extra storage there!

addendum: using mount_smbfs
Authored by: kerim on Jun 11, '02 07:33:04AM

Wouldn't this hint make it easy to create an applescript of some sort that would automatically mount the same share every time. This could be faster than having to use the Go menu.

I wish mounting shared volumes worked like iDisk ...

addendum: using mount_smbfs
Authored by: rah on Jun 11, '02 09:35:10PM

You could add it to a .profile/.login, then fire up a shell.

addendum: using mount_smbfs
Authored by: bkperry on Jun 11, '02 01:17:16PM

Sometimes I find it faster to copy files through the command line to windows shares. So, if I'm there, I mount the share that way.

addendum: using mount_smbfs
Authored by: nevermind on Aug 18, '02 04:35:47PM

Use %20 for a space in your shares.

See: http://kbase.info.apple.com/ and search for 106471 to get the appropriate knowledge base document "Mac OS X 10.1: How to Connect to an SMB Volume (Microsoft Windows)"