Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the '10.4: Use MacFuse to read and write to NTFS volumes' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
10.4: Use MacFuse to read and write to NTFS volumes
Authored by: jo7ker on Mar 03, '07 09:12:57AM
This is just fantastic! In fact it was even easier for me (didn't even need to use the Terminal, let alone Xcode - only Safari and TextEdit!) What I did:

(1) Downloaded the latest MacFUSE package (dmg from Google);
(2) Installed MacFUSE package and restarted the Mac;
(3) Downloaded the NTFS-3g package (dmg from Chucker's - lifehack link is dead);
(4) Fixed the "macfuse_required" error (tip from InsanelyMac);
(5) Installed the NTFS-3g package (no restart);
(6) Plugged in my NTFS-formatted USB2 external drive (which wouldn't even mount before) and it just appeared on my Macbook's desktop - read-write!!!

Links:

Updated links
Authored by: mustang_dvs on May 06, '07 11:42:46AM

The latest versions of MacFuse and NTFS-3G can be found via this constantly updated link:

10.4: Use MacFuse to read and write to NTFS volumes
Authored by: snotweasel42 on Jun 03, '07 02:41:15PM

Every time I get to the point of installing something from one of the links you posted, it says there's nothing to install.

So...what's up with that?

10.4: Use MacFuse to read and write to NTFS volumes
Authored by: lfrios on Jun 05, '07 01:13:29PM

Excelent instructions. Really easy to follow. I am a new user mac (1 month) and didnt have a problem at all and worked fine. Thanks

10.4: Use MacFuse to read and write to NTFS volumes
Authored by: Ethereal on Jun 07, '07 07:22:17PM

Yay. After two days of incessant head-banging, the InsanelyMac tip finally let me install ntfs-3g. Now, my NTFS-formatted MyBook doesn't appear AT ALL. Yes, boys and girls, I've made the huge technological advance of going from read-only to NOTHING AT ALL. I'm ready to drop this hideous oversized truck muffler down a well and go back to a PC.

What's an "unclean logfile?" Eww...
Authored by: Ethereal on Jun 07, '07 08:00:34PM

Running (well, finding, and then running) ntfs-3g from the terminal revealed an "unlean NTFS logfile" that could be cleansed (exorcised?) only by a holy Windows machine. A quick plug-in-and-eject to a handy XP laptop and MyBook is mounted read-write.

Phew.