Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the 'A possible fix for invalid sibling links on a hard drive' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
A possible fix for invalid sibling links on a hard drive
Authored by: kaih on Feb 06, '07 01:40:23PM

An easier way to accomplish the same thing is to:
Reboot in Single-User mode (reboot holding ⌘+S)
Follow the instructions on the screen, which basically say to type:

fsck -fy

and then type "reboot" once it's done it's magic.

---
k:.

A possible fix for invalid sibling links on a hard drive
Authored by: sadyhr on Feb 06, '07 02:08:41PM

Hi
I might be a good idea to run the fsck command again, if it reports that there have been problems, it repaired.
/S

---
/Sebastian

A possible fix for invalid sibling links on a hard drive
Authored by: zpjet on Feb 06, '07 11:52:48PM

and the same plus more things (cleaning caches) you can achieve just by holding Shift during boot (before wheel starts too spin).

A possible fix for invalid sibling links on a hard drive
Authored by: jeichorst on Feb 17, '07 06:11:17PM

The fix pretty much worked for me as originally posted.

My difference was that the machine would not mount the HD at all. So, using the unmount command in terminal responded with a "could not be found".

Do not let that prevent you from running fsck_hfs -r command as it still worked for me. I seem to have lost nothing.

Also I didn't need to run terminal from install disk. You can log into either verbose mode or single user mode - restart and immediately hold down either command s or command v - to get to a command line.

Not being able to mount the drive, I could not copy my files b4 trying the fix by any traditional means. HOWEVER what I did do was load data rescue from CD and used the clone function to clone the broken hd to a fw external - for some reason it could see the drive and execute the clone. I then tried the fix on the clone first.

If you are trying this - I HIGHLY recommend doing the same just for safety sake. That way if it doesn't work, at least you're no worse off than when you started.

AND, back-up people. I was a bit lax with this for the first time in about a year and look what happened. Backing-up only counts if you are regular about it - better yet create a clone of your HD on a regular basis!

Anyway. Saved me a LOT of time. Great fix. I am indebted to the original poster!

A possible fix for invalid sibling links on a hard drive
Authored by: wakey on Nov 27, '07 11:54:36AM

Yes! Absolutely great hint. I had a disk that I could start up in target mode, but it would not mount even using disk utililty. Trying fsck did not solve the problem, but two doses of fsck_hfs -r completely fixed the invalid sibling link problem.

Thanks so much for this marvelous hint.

A possible fix for invalid sibling links on a hard drive
Authored by: tritium147 on Feb 24, '09 04:02:52PM

I recently ran into this problem and have tried this hint along with everything in the comments and nothing seems to work.

I've tried running disk utility while booting off the disk as well as fsck -fy in single user mode. Both tries comes back with invalid sibling link while its "checking catalog file."

while in the terminal while booting in the disk if I run fsck_hfs -r /dev/disk0s2 like was mention in this hint and the following gets reported:

/dev/rdisk0s2
Checking Journaled HFS Plus volume.
Checking Extents Overflow file.
Checking Catalog file.
Rebuilding catalog B-tree.
The volume HDD could not be repaired.

the same error occurs if I try the same thing in single user mode as well. It seems that any method i try to repair the problem or figure out whats going wrong it can't get past the Rebuilding catalog B-tree step and stops saying the drive can't be repaired.

Any help on what else to try or explaining what is going on (if I should give up and reformat or get a new drive competely) would be appreciated.

A possible fix for invalid sibling links on a hard drive
Authored by: Bobe52ME on Mar 16, '09 07:28:07AM

Unfortunately the reported fix hasn't worked for me and I am just restoring my hard drive from Time Machine for the second time in about 4 months.

I can connect to the drive using the Target mode and another computer, but every time I try to start the MacBook Pro 15" with the problem, it makes it through about a half boot up and then shuts down.

The only advice I have, until I find something else that works, is to use Time Machine hourly and then you can restore everything the way it was just before the Sibling Link problem.

I would be interested to know if anyone has experienced this problem after installing a new, larger HD in their MacBook Pro. I replaced my 120Gig drive with a 320Gig drive about a year ago but didn't start with this problem until about 5 months ago. I run a fairly full HD, too.