Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the 'Update timezone files for earlier Daylight Savings Time' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
Update timezone files for earlier Daylight Savings Time
Authored by: bjakuc on Jan 31, '07 09:28:08AM
I find this odd. You say your system is 10.4.8 but check out this doc:

These are the release notes for the Mac OS X v10.4.6 update. If you check out the last section at the bottom of the page called "Other" you'll see the first item is the DST patch to comply with the Energy Policy Act of 2005.

I ran your command and this was my output:

foo$ zdump -v /etc/localtime | grep 2007
/etc/localtime Sun Mar 11 06:59:59 2007 UTC = Sun Mar 11 01:59:59 2007 EST isdst=0
/etc/localtime Sun Mar 11 07:00:00 2007 UTC = Sun Mar 11 03:00:00 2007 EDT isdst=1
/etc/localtime Sun Nov 4 05:59:59 2007 UTC = Sun Nov 4 01:59:59 2007 EDT isdst=1
/etc/localtime Sun Nov 4 06:00:00 2007 UTC = Sun Nov 4 01:00:00 2007 EST isdst=0

So you see mine is correct and I am also running v10.4.8. I'm in the New York area: EST (GMT -5).

Did Apple patch some timezones and not others?

---
Cheers!
-- Bob Jakuc

Update timezone files for earlier Daylight Savings Time
Authored by: barbarella on Jan 31, '07 09:43:00AM

I'm in Central and my 10.4.8 system shows the correct values.

Update timezone files for earlier Daylight Savings Time
Authored by: kyngchaos on Jan 31, '07 10:05:27AM

I just checked all the US timezones, all OK.

MacBook (Core Duo) 10.4.8, all security updates, I've always applied combo updaters. I also checked a PB G4, 10.4.7, same method of applting combo updaters.

A 10.3.9 Mac I checked needs the update.

Update timezone files for earlier Daylight Savings Time
Authored by: plambert on Jan 31, '07 10:13:53AM

It looks like the US timezone entries were updated, but not all the others were.

Those affected should file a bug with Apple, or if you've AppleCare coverage, contact them and report the problem.

Update timezone files for earlier Daylight Savings Time
Authored by: brainbox1100 on Jan 31, '07 11:43:58AM

Hi:

Whatever patch Apple release may have updated your time zone. The localtime is just a link to the appropriate time zone file, so it will be different from system to system depending on where the Mac thinks it is. The article does a listing of the file to show it's a link.

My actual time zone is America/Vancouver (America as in the continent, not the country so that's Vancouver Canada as apposed to Vancouver Washington).

zdump -v America/Vancouver | grep 2007

Update timezone files for earlier Daylight Savings Time
Authored by: Kip on Jan 31, '07 01:14:34PM

I'm guessing that since observation of Daylight Saving Time is up to the discretion of each province individually in Canada, that perhaps Apple hadn't researched in time for the 10.4.6 update (released April 3, 2006) whether or not Canadian provinces were going to switch.

I imagine that Apple will update the other timezones with a patch before March.

Update timezone files for earlier Daylight Savings Time
Authored by: stevebr on Feb 01, '07 09:21:19AM

You are correct about the provinces getting discretion.

FWIW, on my machine (10.4.8) America/Montreal and America/Toronto both have the new date, while America/Vancouver does not. I know Quebec and Ontario are both going to use the new date, but I don't know about BC.

The zoneinfo may be correct if BC isn't switching to the new dates. If they are, somebody needs to tell Apple in the next couple of weeks.

Aside:
As if the switch wasn't boneheaded enough, the Canadian federal government had to leave it up to the provinces. Decentralization is fine and dandy, but applying it to something that needs national and even international standards to umm... you know... *work properly* is just plain stupid.

Update timezone files for earlier Daylight Savings Time
Authored by: morespace54 on Feb 01, '07 11:43:14AM

Well on this Mac (10.3.9) in America/Montreal, the date has not been updated. Did Apple only updated Tiger clients?

Update timezone files for earlier Daylight Savings Time
Authored by: stevebr on Feb 01, '07 01:07:52PM

It would seem so. Other posts attached to this hint mention a 3rd-party patch available via AFP548 that should help in your situation.

Update timezone files for earlier Daylight Savings Time
Authored by: Kip on Feb 15, '07 07:06:32PM
I see that Apple has released a new update to the timezone files. http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=305056