Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the 'One solution for iTunes 'can't find file' problems' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
One solution for iTunes 'can't find file' problems
Authored by: valx on Dec 01, '06 10:03:15AM

All I did was trash the iTunes folder out of my home's music folder and replace it with an alias to the folder on the external drive. I named the alias "iTunes" so the system believes the proper folder is in place. It has worked flawlessly since then.

If the drive isn't there, then it won't open anything because it believes there is already an iTunes folder in the proper location. It just gives a message that it couldn't find the library. I make sure the external drive is on and restart iTunes. Problem solved.

One solution for iTunes 'can't find file' problems
Authored by: MightyB on Dec 01, '06 10:08:29AM

Does anyone know of a plugin that shows your library location somewhere in itunesw (I'm thinking the bottom bar).

Instead of having to go to preferences, advanced to check each time to confirm...

One solution for iTunes 'can't find file' problems
Authored by: DougAdams on Dec 01, '06 10:39:24AM
Try this AppleScript (copy into Script Editor and save as whatever you wish). It will display the path to your iTunes Music folder in a dialog.

try -- get the XML file, which contains the location of the Music folder
	-- thanks to Sal Soghoian for pointing me in the right direction here
	set these_paths to do shell script "defaults read com.apple.iapps iTunesRecentDatabases"
	set the data_file to the text 19 thru ((the offset of "\")" in these_paths) - 1) of these_paths
	set musicFolder to parse_xml_file((my replace_chars(data_file, "%20", " ")))
	log ("musicFolder: " & musicFolder)
	display dialog (musicFolder as string)
end try

on replace_chars(txt, srch, repl)
	set saveD to AppleScript's text item delimiters
	set AppleScript's text item delimiters to the srch
	set the item_list to every text item of txt
	set AppleScript's text item delimiters to the repl
	set txt to the item_list as string
	set AppleScript's text item delimiters to saveD
	return txt
end replace_chars

to parse_xml_file(thePath)
	-- this grep routine is lifted and modified from "Wicked Cool Shell Scripts" by Dave Taylor, published by No Starch Press
	return (do shell script "grep '>Music Folder<' " & (quoted form of thePath) & " | cut -d/ -f5- | cut -d\\< -f1 | sed 's/%20/ /g'")
end parse_xml_file

---
Doug's AppleScripts for iTunes

One solution for iTunes 'can't find file' problems
Authored by: MightyB on Dec 01, '06 11:58:31AM

Doug,

I have actually seen this on your site before...and actually have used it.

I was looking for more of a plugin that displayed it right into the itunes GUI...

One solution for iTunes 'can't find file' problems
Authored by: Frederico on Dec 02, '06 02:48:29AM

I know this isn't what you're looking for, but it is a bit faster than your method: just select 'Get Info' (Command-I) for any track and under the 'Summary' tab (Command-1 if not visible) your current Library path will be displayed.

Also, for the original poster, am I missing something, or would not the ability to use the Option-key startup sequence to choose a different (local) Library work when your FW HDD is detached? Although I agree with the first poster's solution for my situation (I store my library on a network server, and sometimes it is offline), I never have the need to run iTunes without it (ultimately) being able to mount.

It seems that, instead of dealing with inevitable '!' marks, and your complex shutdown requirements, this would be a cleaner, easier solution.

Cheers

One solution for iTunes 'can't find file' problems
Authored by: Frederico on Dec 02, '06 02:59:53AM

OK, I rubbed the week's lack of sleep from my eyes, and reread the original post; I see now the issue is one primarily of Metadata preservation. Sorry. I have a few thoughts, which I will post on the main thread so they are not overlooked by others looking for a better answer.

One solution for iTunes 'can't find file' problems
Authored by: Frederico on Dec 02, '06 03:57:53AM

FWIW, I get a blank dialog (result) for the filepath: "(
\"file://localhost/Volumes/docs/Users/rico/Music/iTunes/iTunes%20Music%20Library.xml\"

Not sure where you pull the data path from either, as my music is on a different path altogether, stored on a network drive.

One solution for iTunes 'can't find file' problems
Authored by: mistersquid on Dec 01, '06 11:14:08AM

I do it this way, too. If I accidentally try to play anything when the source library is not mounted and iTunes starts loading exclamation points next to the files in its library, I simply quit iTunes, mount the source library, and then restart iTunes.

One solution for iTunes 'can't find file' problems
Authored by: Mac Berry on Dec 03, '06 06:03:34PM

I've read about this solution before, but what happens then if I try to add something to the library while the external drive isn't connected? Won't it try (and fail) to put the file into the alias?

Surely if it does work as I think it would, then I'm not going to be adding music, and I'm also not going to be playing anything, so I won't have the issue anyway as there's little reason left to open iTunes without the drive connected?

Mark

One solution for iTunes 'can't find file' problems
Authored by: robogobo on Jan 14, '07 03:40:18PM

yes, the alias approach works, and is very simple. Thanks!