Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the '10.4: Un-zoom via a keyboard shortcut' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
10.4: Un-zoom via a keyboard shortcut
Authored by: apprehensive on Nov 13, '06 10:00:23AM

This is unnecessarily complicated. If you go into the Keyboard Shortcuts section in the Keyboard & Mouse pref pane, you can change the quick-zoom-out to be whatever you want. I don't like three button combinations so I switched it to be Command-Z. Nice and easy.

10.4: Un-zoom via a keyboard shortcut
Authored by: chally on Nov 13, '06 10:52:19AM

Okay, maybe I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed, but I can't see how you do that. I pulled up Keyboard and Mouse, and saw the list of key shortcuts, but there wasn't an entry for quick-zoom-out. I tried digging up Universal Access, and that was fruitless.

10.4: Un-zoom via a keyboard shortcut
Authored by: apprehensive on Nov 13, '06 11:08:13AM

From the Keyboard shortcuts screen, branch down the Universal Access portion, then branch down the Zoom section. The item called "Zoom Out" is what you want to set. click on the shortcut that is already there to highlight it and then press the combination that you want. Hopefully this helps and sorry for not being more precise in my first post.
Cheers. ;)

10.4: Un-zoom via a keyboard shortcut
Authored by: chally on Nov 13, '06 11:18:03AM
Okay, thanks. That's the confusion. After reading your post, I thought there was a "quick" zoom out I somehow missed (rather than the feature that's currently referenced by command-option-'-'.) In Panther, one used to be able to cause a "quick" zoom out by doing cmd-option-8 (which also turned off zoom, and you could press it again to turn zoom back on.) Someone actually alleged you could do that, but I think he still uses Panther. Oddly, in Tiger, that function seems to turn off the zoom keys and leaves your screen zoomed!

Anyway, thanks for the followup.

10.4: Un-zoom via a keyboard shortcut
Authored by: PCheese on Nov 13, '06 12:04:33PM

You'll probably want to pick a different shortcut than command-Z unless you zoom out more often than you undo... and note, command-control-z is used by iTunes for toggling between mini mode.

10.4: Un-zoom via a keyboard shortcut
Authored by: apprehensive on Nov 13, '06 04:57:00PM
hmmm, I shouldn't post until I've had a cup of coffee! ;) the command I use is Cmd-Shift-Z. I do undo more than I'd like but I don't redo very often. Thanks for catching that!

10.4: Un-zoom via a keyboard shortcut
Authored by: robg on Dec 07, '06 10:26:34AM

This quick solution doesn't work, at least on my Macs. Sure, you can reassign the shortcut, but you cannot make the screen auto-zoom back to 100% unless you have set a maximum zoom as explained in the hint. Without doing that, the newly-assigned shortcut does nothing more than step backwards, one zoom level at a time.

-rob.