Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!


Click here to return to the 'How to recover from podcast URL corruption in iTunes' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
How to recover from podcast URL corruption in iTunes
Authored by: Whosawhatsis on Oct 23, '06 11:50:43AM
I thought of the same thing and came up with a process to make it work. I submitted it as another hint, but it looks like he decided not to post it, so here it is:


I recently saw the "How to recover from podcast URL corruption in iTunes" hint, which basically tells you to rebuild everything, and thought that it should be possible to fix these settings the same way they were broken. After a little experimentation, I came up with the following method. Depending on how much rebuilding you would need to do, it may be more effort, but it will allow you to get everything back exactly the way it was without re-downloading podcasts.

To do this, you will need to temporarily modify a few unix files, so you'll probably want to back them up first. You will need root access to edit them, so either use "sudo pico" from the command line, use a text editor like BBEdit/TextWrangler that can authenticate, or log in as root and use TextEdit.

What you need to do is provide a 301 redirect to the correct url when iTunes tries to access the incorrect one. To do this, first modify /etc/hosts to redirect attempts to access the incorrect url back to you. Whatever method you choose, you must add the following line:

127.0.0.1	wrong.domain.name

Repeat this for each podcast you need to fix.

Next you need to edit /etc/httpd/httpd.conf. This also requires root access, so do it the same way. In this file, look for the line that says "RewriteEngine On", it should be near the end. After it, add the following lines:

RewriteCond %{http_host} ^wrong.domain.name [nc]
RewriteRule wrong/path/to/feed.xml$ http://correct.domain.name/path/to/feed.xml [r=301,nc]


Again, repeat for each podcast that needs to be fixed.

You need to (re)start your web server from the Sharing prefpane in order for the changes to take effect, then I recommend trying to access the incorrect url outside of iTunes to make sure that it resolves correctly. Once you're satisfied that it does, update in iTunes and it will replace the url with the correct one. When you're done, you should undo your changes to the two files and either stop or restart the web server.

---
I was offered a penny for my thoughts, so I gave my two cents... I got ripped off.

[ Reply to This | # ]