Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the 'Why QT Pees Me Off' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
Why QT Pees Me Off
Authored by: psandiford on Oct 19, '06 05:11:24AM

I've paid the QT Pro tax 3 times, and with each major update Apple expect me to pay another $20 bux for "Full Screen" mode. Ya, you can hack around but, let's look at the flow: install FPM, install Perian, hack for full screen viewing. Or just pop open VLC/mplayer and put up with the interface glitches and nag boxes.

VLC plays as the desktop image (very nice) if it is full screen (use control-tab to select finder while in full screen. I don't know if QT allows this 'cause I am not going to pay $20 again.

I have had Perian installed for over a month and it is a wonder but my "always open with" is still VLC so I can enjoy full screen.

Why QT Pees Me Off
Authored by: dan55304 on Oct 19, '06 06:09:36AM

Well I'm glad you found something for free that works for you. Some of us are actually willing to pay a developer for an excellent product. So, do you work for free?

Why QT Pees Me Off
Authored by: psandiford on Oct 19, '06 06:48:47AM

For my work systems (6) I DO pay for "Pro," so blunt your barb. I develop multimedia products. I would love to deploy my products on QT to a wide audience but the default for QT is handicapped. I have to ask them to install additional handlers and, if I want my product to be viewed full screen, $20 for Pro. Worse, they get nagged to upgrade every time they open the "free" player. No, I don't work for free but I'd like my Macintosh audience to be able to view my work without having to muck around with the system. So, I package VLC Portable with my media.

My personal system is paid for; I paid for the computer, the MAC OS, all of my programs, all of my media. I paid for Omniweb, I paid 3 times for QT on my personal system JUST FOR FULL SCREEN. (Which, in my book, isn't a Pro feature)

Don't Continue Being Peed Off- Get Niceplayer
Authored by: Lectrick on Oct 19, '06 07:56:10AM

It's great. Granted, Apple's handling of the QT Pro thing (fullscreen for 20 bucks! Even though you just bought a 3 thousand dollar Mac and get the iApps for free!) continues to be a travesty/slap-in-the-face. I can't believe there are people who've paid for it more than once- when I was asked to, I simply used the internet to find a key, it was not very hard...

---
In /dev/null, no one can hear you scream

Why QT Pees Me Off
Authored by: Shane Palmer on Oct 19, '06 09:36:25PM
Actually there are a few things you could do using the tools given to you by Apple.

I have created a fairly simple Automator script that allows me to Control-Click on a QuickTime movie in the Finder and select Present Movie Full Screen. You could then give this away to your customers and let them install it on their Mac, but it would require Mac OS X 10.4 or later since Automator doesn't come with earlier OS X versions.

On the flip side of the coin Apple has several example scripts on their website (http://www.apple.com/applescript/quicktime/) one of which is called "Save As Presentation File" which sets each movie file dragged onto it to automatically open in full screen presentation mode and start playing regardless of whether or not you have QuickTime Pro. It stores the settings in the movie file itself so you could prep your movies in this way before giving them out to your customers.

Why QT Pees Me Off
Authored by: gbooker on Oct 19, '06 07:15:49AM
Just get Niceplayer and be done with it. It is free, uses Quicktime, and does full screen.