Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the 'Deep Sleep - Put new laptops into hibernation mode' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
Deep Sleep - Put new laptops into hibernation mode
Authored by: lokon1979 on Oct 18, '06 10:01:44AM

if i am not wrong, everytime you close the lid of macbook, it enter safe sleep mode. so if you need to swap battery, just close the lid, wait until the sleep light started to pulse, and you are safe to take out the battery, without any help from 3rd party software.

Deep Sleep - Put new laptops into hibernation mode
Authored by: robg on Oct 18, '06 10:06:04AM

Yes, true. Bad example I blame on 2am writing time :). Hence, mostly useful for just those times you want it in hibernate mode without yanking the battery.

-rob.

Deep Sleep - Put new laptops into hibernation mode
Authored by: mlsmithjr on Oct 18, '06 11:45:32AM

With the machine in sleep mode, and the battery removed, what's keeping the machine from being powerless?

Deep Sleep - Put new laptops into hibernation mode
Authored by: hamarkus on Oct 18, '06 04:49:06PM

A small back-up battery, maybe in the form of a condensator.

To clarify, with Powerbooks (back at least to the Pismo) and MacBooks Pro (MacBook Pros ?) when you put them to sleep, you have maybe one minute to change the battery. The maschine will not lose power, it will not go into deep sleep. When you open it up again, it just wakes from sleep normally.

Wallstreet & Pismo
Authored by: Rainy Day on Jul 27, '08 05:37:14PM

The Wallstreet, and if i recall correctly the Pismo too, have dual battery bays (the CD drive bay is also a battery bay). Even so, it is true that the PRAM battery can power main RAM for short periods of time, if all main batteries are removed.

No, that's wrong
Authored by: soboroff on Oct 18, '06 02:47:47PM

No, when you close the MacBook lid it goes into normal sleep. The MacBook manual says to shut down before swapping batteries.

If you're running and the battery gets very low, it goes into deep sleep. I don't know if it can switch from normal sleep directly to deep sleep, but I suspect not. (I've put mine to normal sleep, then had the battery run out. In that situation, it has to reboot from scratch.)

No, it does work
Authored by: robg on Oct 18, '06 03:03:59PM
This isn't true. I just did it myself to prove it. Steps taken, with a never-tweaked MacBook:
  1. Run some apps.
  2. Close the lid.
  3. Wait for sleep light to start blinking (it's solid while RAM is written to disk).
  4. Remove power cord.
  5. Turn machine over, remove battery.
  6. Wait a few minutes, hours, days, whatever.
  7. Put battery back in, plug power in.
  8. Open lid and touch power button.
When you do this, you'll see that the machine doesn't boot from a power-off condition. Instead you see your grayed-out-screen and an odd progress indicator as the machine reads RAM from disk. After slightly longer than usual wake-from-sleep, you're right back where you were before the sleep/hibernate trick.

-rob.

No, it does work
Authored by: clknight on Oct 18, '06 05:35:12PM

I agree--the "safe sleep" is present by default, and noticeable on my MacBook. If you put it to sleep there is a 30-60 second delay between when the screen turns off and when the HD spins down--during this you will notice the sleep LED comes on solid white but doesn't blink. I presume this is when the RAM gets written to disk.

One problem I've had, though--I've caused a kernel panic on several occasions by triggering the sudden motion sensor while it's writing RAM to disk. It's a little tricky--I close the lid, think it's asleep, drop it onto a pillow on the floor, and 8 hours later it's blazing hot and with the KP screen o' death visible on the non-backlit LCD. Anyone else ever done that?

---
Chris

No, it does work
Authored by: soboroff on Oct 19, '06 06:30:53AM

Hmm. Ordinarily I skip steps 5-7, and I never have a progress bar when I open the lid. This and the info in the MacBook manual were my sources for my comment.

Perhaps things work this way. When you close the lid, it writes the RAM image but goes into normal sleep. On a critical batter condition, it goes to deep sleep. On wake, if we were in normal sleep, we just start running again. But if we were in deep sleep, we restore the RAM image.