Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the 'Perian - The ultimate QuickTime playback add-on' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
Perian - The ultimate QuickTime playback add-on
Authored by: sbinner on Oct 18, '06 08:21:17AM

I don't know why you or anyone else has had ANY problems playing video on Mac or PCs for the last 4 years+. Downloading a ton of codecs? Having more than 1 video player you use? thats so 1998!

VLC has been playing EVERY possible video out there since it was released. I have been using it without ever having any troubles, or having to wonder which video player i might have to use. I even get to convert my video to other formats while i watch it (when i need to convert that is).

A big thank you to the people involved in VLC for a hassle-free video playing and streaming experience.

If the purpose of this hint is to have an all-Apple-made experience, then OK, but the reality is that the so-called Rosetta stone for Mac video playback has been around for quite some time n0w...

www.videolan.org

I have to admit one thing though; that it is VERY cool that those solutions offered by Perian finally exist for Quicktime. and ITS ABOUT TIME!

Perian - The ultimate QuickTime playback add-on
Authored by: fbitterlich on Oct 18, '06 08:26:47AM

While VLC appears to help sometimes, I didn't have as much success with it. I frequently encounter movies that do not play with VLC either. And VLCs error handling (read: error messsages and reecovery) has room for improvement, too.

Perian - The ultimate QuickTime playback add-on
Authored by: Hauberg on Oct 18, '06 09:05:47AM

VLC is great, but not perfect.

It doen't play WMV, FLV nor all mov files.

Perian - The ultimate QuickTime playback add-on
Authored by: robg on Oct 18, '06 09:54:47AM

The biggest issue I have with VLC is the UI -- I just don't like how it acts, nor do I like how it butchers some pretty common QT Player features: Fast forward, rewind, drag-to-scroll, etc. all work so poorly in comparison to QuickTime that I simply can't use the VLC player.

-rob.

VLC issues
Authored by: SOX on Oct 18, '06 10:12:39AM

VLC is nice. But I'll add to RobG's complaints.
VLC (and Mplayer) is a CPU hog. If your computer is older or doing something else the movies glithc quite a bit

VLC issues
Authored by: chyna4xena on Oct 18, '06 04:33:43PM

My experience has been that VLC actually plays back MPEG1, MPEG2 and DivX movies with far less CPU consumption than QuickTime with the same videos.

Like most, I find the scrubbing in VLC to be abominable, and cueing and reviewing impossible; but that is offset by using the FF and REV buttons, a single click on these jumping 30 secs forward or backward (a handy feature that QT doesn't have!).

It is true that VLC has been able to play back all the codecs that Perian supports, but Perian has advantages other than just playback - by integrating with QT we can now re-encode those formats (with QTPro) and, importantly, we expose those formats for use with all the programmes that work with or import "any QuickTime-compatible video file" ... which is just about every programme that uses video in some fashion. That's Perian's killer feature.

VLC is so 1998!
Authored by: jaydisc on Oct 18, '06 04:24:27PM

VLC's interface, stability and compatibility are shocking in recent years... it's as if each upgrade is a downgrade. Back in the day, it was great, but that was about.... 1998