Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the 'Modify cursor movement keys in Terminal' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
Modify cursor movement keys in Terminal
Authored by: georgeocrawford on Aug 24, '06 08:28:20AM
Great hint. Also, as user "Roland" point out on the Textmate page you linked to:
In this same vein, you can also make the forward delete key stop being worthless and inserting ~ by mapping it to control-option-d.

Making Foward Delete useful
Authored by: simbalala on Aug 25, '06 07:32:29AM

Call me dumb but I can't figure out how to make the text field accept the option key. Option is reserved and the cursor turns into a crosshair when it's pressed.

Making Foward Delete useful
Authored by: PsiPhi on Aug 25, '06 10:49:35AM

Here's how to do it:
1. get the 'Window Settings' window open and select 'Keyboard' as noted
2. click the 'Add' button
3. select 'del (forward delete)' from the 'Key' dropdown
4. select 'none' in the 'Modifier' dropdown
5. 'Action' should be set to 'send string to shell:'
6. now, with the focus on the text field, press control+option+d

That's it, there should now be a string in the field that reads '\004' and the forward delete key should function as intended in the current window and (if you clicked the 'Use settings as default' button) in any NEW terminal windows also.

Does that help?

Nope
Authored by: simbalala on Aug 26, '06 07:21:31AM

As soon as the option key is depressed (in combination with the others) the cursor becomes a crosshair and nothing is entered into the field.

I'm sure it's a simple thing but you don't get a lot of flexibility for experimenting in that window.

OK, it's one of those mysteries
Authored by: simbalala on Aug 26, '06 07:37:56AM

I've got a Powerbook _and_ an Apple Bluetooth keyboard.

When I try from the Bluetooth keyboard Option gives me the crosshair cursor. So I now tried from the PB keyboard and Option does not give me the crosshair but still nothing goes into the text field.

So I tried simply Control-d from the PB keyboard and it works just fine now. Why is Option needed at all?

All is OK now but still mysterious.

Modify cursor movement keys in Terminal
Authored by: Anonymous on Dec 22, '06 09:28:34AM

The problem with using control-D is that when you're on a blank line, Del suddenly logs you out.

Other solutions have been offered, but the best in this vein that I've worked out is to use the key combination space, control-T, backspace, backspace. That inserts a space, transposes the space and the next character while moving the cursor forward, then two backspaces delete the two. When you're at the end of a line, this doesn't produce a bell sound/flash like control-F, control-H does.