Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the '10.4: Another fix for non-launching PowerPC apps on Intel' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
10.4: Another fix for non-launching PowerPC apps on Intel
Authored by: skapplin on Aug 08, '06 11:38:29AM

I have an easier solution that doesn't require a separate Applescript for every Rosetta-run application:

The problem seems only to appear if you have Unsanity's APE and haxies running. If you open APE and add all your PowerPC applications to the Exclude list, then they should all work without needing to kill the translated process. If you have FruitMenu installed, then either uninstall it or use APE to turn it off.

I find this works with all my PowerPC apps without having to kill translated each time I run one.

10.4: Another fix for non-launching PowerPC apps on Intel
Authored by: myrkr on Aug 08, '06 12:06:33PM

I have seen this problem where neither of those programs were installed.

APE
Authored by: rspeed on Aug 08, '06 02:43:13PM
Unsanity said there's a bug in OS X that they need to work around to fix this issue. My guess would be that these errors are fairly rare until APE is installed (especially with ShapeShifter) at which point the issue becomes common.

10.4: Another fix for non-launching PowerPC apps on Intel
Authored by: SignOfEth on Aug 08, '06 02:29:18PM

This is great! I called AppleCare on Sunday to try and get this very problem diagnosed. And, yes, I have Unsanity's APE and three haxies installed. I'll do the exlude-these-apps thing and see if all is well.

10.4: Another fix for non-launching PowerPC apps on Intel
Authored by: strikeman on Aug 09, '06 03:33:29AM

If I read the Unsanity post correctly they are saying that haxies suffer from the same problem as other Rosetta-dependent programs, not that APE is the source of the problem.

This means that any program that uses Rosetta could have this problem. (In my experience though this varies - for instance, Word is very prone, and Powerpoint is less so).

10.4: Another fix for non-launching PowerPC apps on Intel
Authored by: smeger on Aug 28, '06 04:01:24AM

Unsanity ShapeShifter guy here. This issue is caused by a bug in OS X, but using APE-based haxies can greatly increase the frequency with which this bug is triggered, depending on which haxie is used. To repeat - this bug can occur without APE installed, but is more likely to occur with APE installed. And, unfortunately, the APE Exclude list doesn't help.

The "sudo killall translated" terminal command is a valid work-around, but, of course, it's a pain to run that before every Rosetta launch.

We are hard at work on a fix to APE to get the situation to the point that we're not exacerbating the issue. But currently, the situation I described above is the deal.

This info is current as of APE version 2.0.2b1. Any version newer than that will almost certainly include a fix for this.