Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the '10.4: Configure a secure L2TP VPN – no connection' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
10.4: Configure a secure L2TP VPN – no connection
Authored by: FastBlast on Jun 27, '06 04:16:41AM

The installed vpn-server does not respond. I've set-up a mac mini, with 10.4.6 as vpn-server, as described above. System.log and vpnd.log suggest a proper working vpnd. But I can't connect from a client, also 10.4.6. The client does'nt find the server. I've tried it with a direct connection (one ehternet-cable between client and mac mini and self assigned IPs), and also with an WRT54G that is my network-router and also with a swtich, on that only server and client have been connected. But all these tries didn't take any effect, vpnd runs like isolated. All these hardware-configurations were tested in combination with both firewalls on and off. Can I have advice, where my error in configuration and setup might be? Thanks, Chris

10.4: Configure a secure L2TP VPN – no connection
Authored by: davelentz on Jun 27, '06 04:38:08AM

Have you opened up appropriate ports in your OS X firewall (Sharing Prefs) on both machines? UDP 4500 and TCP 500 are what is indicated in an earlier posting.

10.4: Configure a secure L2TP VPN – no connection
Authored by: FastBlast on Jun 27, '06 10:53:07AM

Yes, I've done so. However, even if I disable firewalls completely (for testing only), I can't establish an connection! I am at a loss.

10.4: Configure a secure L2TP VPN – no connection
Authored by: stewarsh on Aug 23, '06 08:08:40PM

I am in the same boat. VPND doesnt actually open any ports for listening; though it does spawn racoon which does. The problem is that racoon doesn't seem to want to respond to any connections.

As with the previous post, I have no firewalls running as this is a test network.

10.4: Configure a secure L2TP VPN – no connection
Authored by: stewarsh on Aug 23, '06 08:35:38PM

As an update, racoon does answer the connection but there is some problem with the auth...I haven't been thru the debug throughly yet.

10.4: Configure a secure L2TP VPN – no connection
Authored by: stewarsh on Aug 23, '06 09:30:11PM

Okay...found the problem. It turns out that racoon couldn't retrieve the key from the keychain until it was authorized. I didn't see a way to do this from the command line, so I logged into the console, openned the connnection which popped up the dialog to allow access. After that it was smooth sailing.

10.4: Configure a secure L2TP VPN – no connection
Authored by: deelux on Nov 21, '06 01:28:02AM

Hy,

I have the same problem as you: the vpnd server is running (ps -aux matches) but it doesn't respond... I didn't understood the way you use to have it working... "log into the console"... can you explain me ?

Thanks !

Tom

Here's the fix
Authored by: kkL on Nov 15, '07 12:36:12PM
before you run vpnd (kill it with sudo killall vpnd if it's running) you have to run sudo racoon -vF, and it will ask you for keychain access.

Command line manual has been updated
Authored by: keithy on Apr 14, '08 04:32:16AM
The link given above is no longer current