Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the '10.4: Configure a secure L2TP VPN - Not on MacIntel?' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
10.4: Configure a secure L2TP VPN - Not on MacIntel?
Authored by: torqt on Jun 21, '06 04:50:02PM

I've been testing this on a 1.66Ghz core duo Mac mini this afternoon with little success. The hint worked perfectly on my G5 PoweMac.

In following all of the steps on the Mac mini I get to the point where com.apple.ppp.l2tp is starting and then it eventually logs an error:

Jun 21 17:21:17 MacMini kernel[0]: (default pager): [KERNEL]: no space in available paging segments
Jun 21 17:22:17 MacMini vpnd[396]: Error while processing ip address range 10.66.20.120\n
Jun 21 17:22:17 MacMini vpnd[396]: Error while reading PPP preferences\n
Jun 21 17:22:17 MacMini vpnd[396]: Error processing prefs file\n

Does anyone have any idea what might be the issue here?

10.4: Configure a secure L2TP VPN - Not on MacIntel?
Authored by: torqt on Jun 21, '06 05:40:09PM

- Copied over the vpnd executable from /usr/bin/vpnd on my PowerMac to the Mac mini.
- ran vpnd from Terminal
- system.log in Console indicated that vpn was now listening for connections but then quit with the following error:

Jun 21 18:20:42 MacMini vpnd[407]: L2TP plugin: cannot configure secure transport (cannot add policy out).\n
Jun 21 18:20:42 MacMini vpnd[407]: Unable to initialize vpn plugin\n
Jun 21 18:20:42 MacMini vpnd[407]: Server 'com.apple.ppp.l2tp' stopped\n

I'm wondering copying over the plist file from the PowerMac and editing it a bit would allow vpnd to run?

10.4: Configure a secure L2TP VPN - Not on MacIntel?
Authored by: isometry on Jun 22, '06 01:26:45AM

You need to change the following section:

DestAddressRanges = ("10.66.20.120", "10.66.20.129");

Change the two addresses to the end-points of a range of addresses on your LAN that should be handed out to VPN clients upon connection. The range above is valid for my LAN, but you'll likely need to change it to something like:

DestAddressRanges = ("192.168.0.100", "192.168.0.120");

10.4: Configure a secure L2TP VPN - Not on MacIntel?
Authored by: torqt on Jun 22, '06 09:40:12AM

Right. I did that. While troubleshooting this problem I guess at some point I left the original numbers in there and tried to run it.

However, I did change the IP range to fit my network and I still had the same error.

10.4: Configure a secure L2TP VPN - Not on MacIntel?
Authored by: isometry on Jun 23, '06 11:44:37AM

Please post the full error when its running with your "correct" configuration :)