Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!


Click here to return to the 'Caution when using the described imapfilter.pl' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
Caution when using the described imapfilter.pl
Authored by: moritzh on May 22, '06 08:05:46AM

When using Thunderbird.app (running normally) instead of Mail.app (running with the described imapfilter.pl) for the first time after a long time, I discovered that there were more messages in my inbox than displayed in Mail.app! I tried all sorts of things in Mail.app like rebuilding mailboxes, deleting cache files, synchronizing the account, disabling message rules, but nothing fixed it.

Then I created another account in Mail.app, this time omitting the local imapfilter.pl, and then the missing messages were also shown. I.e. then I had two accounts, one with and one without the imapfilter.pl, and the one without was showing all messages while the one with the filter omitted some messages.

Ergo: To me it appears that imapfilter.pl is the cause for several messages not showing up in Mail.app, which I very much regret since I had been using this useful filter for a long time, seemingly without problems. Luckily, most of the messages I missed were not crucial. For now, although I'd like to do otherwise, I cannot recommend to use the filter. I have contacted the author about this.

P.S.: I am using the following version of the script: $Id: imapfilter.pl,v 1.8 2005/10/05 09:34:26 eggert Exp $



[ Reply to This | # ]
update: it seems to be a bug in Mail.app's implemtation of "Exchange server", not imapfilter.pl
Authored by: moritzh on May 22, '06 10:01:21AM

I spent hours trying everything I could think of before posting the above and `blaming' imapfilter.pl, but of course I could only find the reason afterwards...

It seems to be a bug in Mail.app's implementation of the "Exchange" account type. Reasons:
1) When I created a new account of type "IMAP" rather than "Exchange", either using imapfilter.pl or not, I could see all messages.
2) When I changed my existing "Exchange" account to an "IMAP" account, it worked too. (Note: You can't change it in the GUI. I made the change directly in the com.apple.mail.plist file. It's a bit ugly because you have to re-enter your username and password and you first get a prompt for user '(null)' etc., but it eventually worked for me.) And it stopped working again when I changed the "IMAP" account to an "Exchange" account.
3) Other steps (deleting cache files, deleting the local copies of the messages on the server, recreating the file "Envelope Index", rebuilding all mailboxes etc.) did not help.

Note: When you try do repeat anything I did like modify com.apple.mail.plist, ***make a backup of your entire ~/Library/Mail folder!***

P.S.: My server *is* an Exchange Server of course...
P.P.S.: Most of the messages I could not see in the beginning were mail delivery failure notifications from my mail system, *but not all*. There were also some `normal' messages in between.



[ Reply to This | # ]