Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the 'Install an enhanced SMART monitoring package' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
Install an enhanced SMART monitoring package
Authored by: geppo1982 on May 22, '06 06:16:48AM
I wrote another, more complete, installer for smartd and smartctl. This new version of the installer contains a file to launch the smartd daemon at startup (using launchd).

Failed to install
Authored by: hamarkus on May 22, '06 06:35:55AM

It says: "There were errors during the installation" "Please try again"

I quit smartd before running the installer. It realised I already had a version of smartd and changed the button from install to upgrade.

Install an enhanced SMART monitoring package
Authored by: smkolins on May 22, '06 06:45:56AM

apple+i the /usr/local/bin/ parts and it still says PPC - needs to be a universal binary I think. This might explain the difference between it working on G5 SATA drives and not MacTel SATA drives. I installed the darwinports version which I could see compiled with i386 parts.

---
Possess a pure, kindly, and radiant heart!

Install an enhanced SMART monitoring package
Authored by: mnewman on May 22, '06 05:02:49PM

The installer log says that it writes 12 files. What are they and where do they go?

---
Mike Newman
Saipan and Narita Layover Pages:

Install an enhanced SMART monitoring package
Authored by: geppo1982 on May 22, '06 11:40:31PM
The last installer version contains:
/Library/Application Support/smartd (folder for the smartd configuration file)
/Library/LaunchDaemons/org.smartd.launcher.plist (file needed to launch smartd as daemon)
/usr/local/bin/smartctl (smartctl universal binary)
/usr/local/bin/smartd (smartd universal binary)
At the end of the installation an applescript will ask you for an e-mail address needed for the notification of errors and failures of your hard drive. The address will be written in the /Library/Application Support/smartd/smartd.conf file.

Install an enhanced SMART monitoring package
Authored by: mnewman on May 23, '06 01:08:23AM

Thanks and good work. I've used your installer on two machines now.

One small problem. I've added "-M test" to the end of the active line in the smartd.conf file in order to generate a test e-mail message when smartd first runs.

This works, except that the body of the test e-mail message is blank.

If I run smartd from the command line it generates a test e-mail message with the body in tact:

======
This email was generated by the smartd daemon running on:

host name: Smooch.local
DNS domain: local
NIS domain:

The following warning/error was logged by the smartd daemon:

TEST EMAIL from smartd for device: /dev/disk0s3

For details see host's SYSLOG (default: /var/log/messages).
======

What could cause the body to be blank when smartd is started with launchd?

---
Mike Newman
Saipan and Narita Layover Pages:

Install an enhanced SMART monitoring package
Authored by: smkolins on May 24, '06 08:13:38PM

I'ld like to know exactly what URL you used to get the universal binary - I tried this one twice and it's still not universal.

---
Possess a pure, kindly, and radiant heart!

Install an enhanced SMART monitoring package
Authored by: geppo1982 on May 26, '06 01:16:40PM

On my Mac (G5) the Kind (in the info window) of smartd and smartctl is "Document (Universal)" and I think this means they are Intel ready. Is this wrong?