Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the '10.4: Manually add a Tiger Software Update Server' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
10.4: Manually add a Tiger Software Update Server
Authored by: giskard22 on May 19, '06 08:05:24AM

This hint is way too complicated. There's no need to manually edit a plist file; the 'defaults' command does everything you need. There are three options, depending on exactly how you want the preference saved:

1. defaults write com.apple.SoftwareUpdate CatalogURL "http://update.server.address:8088/"

This writes the pref only for the user that runs the command, and only affects the GUI Software Update tool.

2. defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.SoftwareUpdate CatalogURL...

Writes the pref system-wide, so any user who runs the GUI tool will get the specified server.

3. sudo defaults write com.apple.SoftwareUpdate CatalogURL...

Writes the pref for the root user, so the command line 'softwareupdate' tool will use the specified server.

10.4: Manually add a Tiger Software Update Server
Authored by: orlin on May 20, '06 04:51:34AM

giskard22,
Thanks a lot for the hint. That's exactly what I was looking for.

I have an XServe and I wanted to use SUS, but I didn't want to have the clients authenticate through Open Directory.

10.4: Manually add a Tiger Software Update Server
Authored by: daschu on May 21, '06 05:55:52PM

Thank you for your comments. I didn't know about the defaults command and couldn't figure out how to make the preference system wide. Thanks.

10.4: Local SUS not reporting correctly
Authored by: bschmwsii on Jun 21, '06 10:11:50AM
Great hint! However, I am obviously doing something wrong. I use the defaults command via Terminal to change the SUS to my local server "http://10.0.1.2:8088/"; and the TestMac finds the SUS server as expected. However, the TestMac reports that no updates are required. When I point the TestMac back to the standard Apple SUS it reports the correct updates. Any ideas?

TIA!

10.4: Manually add a Tiger Software Update Server
Authored by: jeremycrandell on Nov 15, '06 12:51:53PM

I've moved a client machine out of an office where I had modified the SUS address to be our own server. Now that this client machine is in a different environment, I'd like to point it back to the official Apple Software Update Server but, cleverly, don't know that address. Anyone?

10.4: Manually add a Tiger Software Update Server
Authored by: pinguru on Jan 04, '07 03:51:36AM

You don't actually need the address. If you remove the key pointing to your internal server it will default back to Apple.

Try: -

defaults delete com.apple.SoftwareUpdate CatalogURL

or if you added it for root: -

sudo defaults delete com.apple.SoftwareUpdate CatalogURL

or System-wide: -

defaults delete /Library/Preferences/com.apple.SoftwareUpdate CatalogURL

I would suggest doing a defaults read for the appropriate variation to check beore doing the delete.

10.4: Manually add a Tiger Software Update Server
Authored by: dkoff on Nov 12, '07 06:02:39PM

this process doesn't work for me. i am able to force any user to revert to using apple's own softwareupdate servers by DELETING those pref files from any user's home folder as well as the root directory.

# To kill the root account
rm /Library/Preferences/com.apple./SoftwareUpdate.plist

# To kill any other account
rm ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple./SoftwareUpdate.plist

running this will delete these files, not alter them. no restart is necessary. running software update via the GUI will now return you to apple's servers as originally all macs ship.