Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the 'How to run Classic (pre OS X) apps on Intel Macs' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
Authored by: lewsmind on May 17, '06 06:11:22AM

I'm curious what essential Classic apps folks are still running.

Authored by: emendelson on May 17, '06 06:50:26AM

Essential apps:

Oxford English Dictionary (set up to run from a CD image instead of the original CD)
Lexis-Nexis (much faster than the web interface)
WordPerfect (sometimes)

And most important and productivity-ruining of all -

The old AfterDark Stained Glass module, using the MacDim AD launcher (see my hint about this somewhere else on the site).

It's the last one that I'm really going to miss on an Intel Mac...

Authored by: glusk on May 17, '06 08:20:45AM

Lots of custom software is needed to configure or operate older hardware. The devices may still be in use but the control computer has failed. In my case, I don't want to carry around an old laptop to occasionally configure an older device.

Does anyone know if a classic app running in these emulators can use a USB-serial adaptor?

Thanks

Authored by: squirri on May 17, '06 08:54:05AM

Lots of old Ambrosia software games!
Maelstrom, Escape Velocity, Mars Rising, Apeiron

I can't cope with all this Doom stuff!

Authored by: terceiro on May 17, '06 01:45:58PM

Indeed. I'm still occasionally playing Fool's Errand and the original Myst. Except for that, I can't remember the last time I used Classic to actually accomplish anything.

Authored by: RickoKid on May 17, '06 02:06:33PM
There are Mac OS X versions of a few of those games I think - Maelstrom certainly, and Apeiron too I think.

Future Cop
Authored by: melvinwalker on May 18, '06 09:21:09AM

Yeah, games are about all I ever run in Classic, too!

I still run Civilization 2 (sue me, that's the version I like!), and I just get a hankerin' to run Future Cop sometimes, which was a kick-butt game that never got the marketing it deserved. It even came out for the Mac before the PC (in 1998!).

Neither of these games, AFAIK, will ever be updated to OS X. As long as I can play these games, I will, 'cause they're great games, so why all the hate about those of us who still keep a copy of Classic around?

Authored by: GaelicWizard on May 22, '06 11:06:16AM

SimTower. :-D

JP

---
Pell

Authored by: cudaboy_71 on May 17, '06 11:08:45AM

quarkxpress 4.0 along with a ton of custom developed software for it. the expense and time to re-develop the code for use with the current version of quark would be out of proportion with the benefit gained. xpress 4.0 runs perfectly for what i use it for.

i'll be following and researching how to run classic apps on the intel chips very closely before i can purchase any for the shop.

---
if it aint broke, break it!

Authored by: david@javadave on May 17, '06 12:57:35PM

Virtual TimeClock 2.5. I know that there are dozens of Time-recording applications available for OS X, but they all require entry of clients, projects, tasks, or other endless information for which I have no need. Virtual TimeClock does one thing, simply--it works like a regular punchclock, allowing me to clock-in/clock-out for the day and for breaks, and totals my time entries and overtime. There is a Pro version for OS X, but it costs $129--the one I have cost me $29 years ago. Until someone comes up with a replacement, I'll keep using this one.

Authored by: david@javadave on May 17, '06 12:59:25PM

Oops! That's $195 for Virtual TimeClock Pro.

Authored by: lewsmind on May 18, '06 05:34:25AM

Those are some interesting replies. I'm just confused how someone can have the money to buy an intel machine, but no money to upgrade software. How about you upgrade that software first?

I do understand about needing old software to control even older hardware. But again, how about some hardware upgrades?

OS 9 has been dead for 4 years, lets all let it go.

Authored by: Boodlums on May 20, '07 06:59:27AM

It is quite possible for software upgrades to total MORE than the cost of new hardware. Software can be VERY expensive. I got a font editor for less than a hundred bucks 20 years ago. Now it's several hundred, and doesn't even have all the features of the old software. I am planning to use vMac to run FONTastic Plus 2.0.2 and other System 6 software which to this day still have no OS X equivalent. Apple's killing of OS 9 does not magically make new and affordable software appear. Hey, I wish it did.

Authored by: David Grant on May 24, '06 08:37:15AM

Over the last 20 years I have written literally hundreds of HyperCard apps that are indispensable to my research. Most of them use specialized externals that will not work with the various HC replacements that have come out since Apple dropped HC. I also need to use a genetic mapping program called ACeDB. There is a OS X version but it would require that I redo much of my data AND modify the HC scripts I use to generate the data file in the first place.