Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Sources? | 53 comments | Create New Account
Click here to return to the 'Sources?' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
Sources?
Authored by: gidds on May 09, '06 04:32:33PM

Be interesting to see where people get their stuff from generally.

For example, the majority my (2018-album) music collection is ripped directly from my own CDs. I also have a lot of stuff bought from allofmp3, a handful ripped from friends or relatives, and a handful from Magnatune and other, er, sources.

And none bought from the iTMS. Partly coz it's relatively expensive, but partly coz I don't trust DRM to work on my next computer or player, even Apple's not-as-bad-as-most-of-the-others DRM.

Why do YOU use or not use the iTMS?

---
Andy/

By reason
Authored by: PopMcGee on May 09, '06 05:25:43PM

I don't buy from Apple for the very same reason ("don't trust DRM to work on my next computer or player").

Think about it: In 10 years, you buy a new computer, and Apple went bankrupt 2 years ago. There's no authentication server left, and now all your music is - gone. Great, isn't it? :-(

By reason
Authored by: Unsoluble on May 10, '06 01:43:34PM

1. Burn purchased tracks to CD-RW.
2. Import from CD using your favourite (lossless?) codec.
3. Rinse, repeat.

Why is that so difficult?

By reason
Authored by: chris_on_hints on May 29, '06 10:29:47AM

difficult? maybe not, pain in the ass? definately yes.
- time consuming
- you end up with either a lower quality compressed file or a larger 'lossless' version of your 'lossy' original
- ITMS seems to sell 128kb AAC's. they are not worth the money, IMHO

By reason
Authored by: Tonmeister on May 30, '06 04:19:37PM
"- ITMS seems to sell 128kb AAC's. they are not worth the money, IMHO"

Have you bought one to try out?

---
G4 Dual 450, 2 GB, 400 GB, using Logic Express with Reason and live guitar, bass and vocals to create a new style of music. Demos will be up soon.

By reason
Authored by: joshMV4 on May 10, '06 04:45:07PM

"In ten years you buy a new computer??? I'm on my fourth Apple in 5 years...besides, I always burn to CD then rip as mp3 for a backup.

I currently have between 300 and 400 songs from itms. Because I have converted some to mp3 to play in my car, not all my m4p files are in iTunes anymore, so I don't have an exact count. I currently don't have any videos from itms.

By reason
Authored by: morespace54 on May 11, '06 07:13:56AM

I've been buying on iTMS for almost 2 years now and I am at 4 out of 5... :-(

By reason
Authored by: DavidRavenMoon on May 15, '06 08:14:27AM
Believe me, in 10 years you will have most probably reach your 5 computer's limit. I've been buying on iTMS for almost 2 years now and I am at 4 out of 5... :-(

Just deauthorize the old computers first! I've done this several times already. It's a simple thing to do right in iTunes! I've also done it when changing hard drives.

I'm still at 2 authorized computers, even though it should have been at 5 now.

Secondly, as other's have said, always backup your purchases by burning an audio CD.

---