Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the 'Partition a hard disk without losing data' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
Partition a hard disk without losing data
Authored by: Felix_the_Mac on May 01, '06 08:22:46AM

This ability to non-destuctively repartition a disk doesn't come from nowhere. It was added to the 10.4.6 and is provided by the command:

hdutil resizeVolume

Try hdutil --help for a list of commands.

AFAIK it works on G4 as well
Authored by: Oneota on May 01, '06 09:06:36AM

I'm actually reasonably sure this requires a GUID-partitioned drive, which is only available on Intel Macs. PPC Macs use APM, which I don't think can do the re-partitioning magic.

GPT also available on PPC since 10.4.6
Authored by: boli on May 02, '06 09:49:59AM
since 10.4.6 the GUID Partitioning Table is also available on PowerPC macs. Some (apparently very few) PPC models can even boot off it. See my comments at MacGeekery and the replies by someone who seems to know more...

No, Intel Macs ONLY
Authored by: Chas on May 01, '06 09:26:38AM

This is known to work ONLY on Intel Macs.

Partition a hard disk without losing data
Authored by: GlowingApple on May 01, '06 10:27:04AM

I'm using a PowerBook G4 and don't have a hdutil command. There is a hdiutil command, but AFAIK that only works with images, not partitions. It has a resize command, but judging from the man page (don't have my laptop backed up recently enough to test it) it sounds like it'll only shrink or expand the size of an image file.

---
Jayson --When Microsoft asks you, "Where do you want to go today?" tell them "Apple."

Partition a hard disk without losing data
Authored by: osxpounder on May 01, '06 11:27:23AM
On my 10.4.5 box, I can't even *find* hdutil. Apparently it's not in my default path for CLI programs.

which hdutil
no hdutil in /bin /sbin /usr/bin /usr/sbin

---
osxpounder

Partition a hard disk without losing data
Authored by: themming on May 01, '06 01:09:38PM

If you change to superuser first you should be able to find it. Also the previous posts have named it wrong. Here are the details of the program from my powerbook:
-r-xr-xr-x 1 root wheel 328788 Jan 31 23:45 /usr/bin/hdiutil